Book Three Chapter Six

As we walked in she looked up, she smiled. It wasn't fake it was genuine, she was happy to see Jackson, yet he seemed to think it was his fault? 

She walked over to him, wrapping her hands around him as she began to sob. She pulled back and apologised before going back to the bedside. 

I looked now, I saw Marcus with tubes down his throat, eyes shut, he looked peaceful. I moved closer, and stood at his side, my hand grabbing his as a tear rolled down my cheek.

Wiping it away, remembering I had to stay strong for Jackson, I couldn't crumble otherwise he would leave. 

"Wake up you fool, who is going to tease me about all those pictures and videos?" 

I smiled looking at him, Jackson moved to my side, his arm wrapping around me. He shook his head, "He is not going to wake up Alena"

His voice broke as he stopped himself from crying. Turning to him, I stroked his face.

"Answer me this Jackson, if that was me, if that was one of your daughters would you still be saying that?" 

"Or is that your guilt making you think you have killed him and he isn't coming back?" 

The question was blunt yes, but I hoped if he could imagine me or someone else there that he would see that it is possible he could wake up. 

Sitting there for a few hours, Jackson not saying another word, it felt awkward, I can't talk, my mind keeps reminding me of everything that had happened. I decided I should to go for a drink. I left the room, walking past where Max was, grabbing a drink I began walking back up, this time I stopped outside his room. 

"May I go in please?" 

I looked at the police officers, they looked at each other before nodding. Walking in seeing what I saw was not what I was expecting what I saw shock overtook me, Jackson had not told me the full story. Max was barely noticeable, his face swollen, cuts all over it, his leg in a cast and bandages on his chest.

I begin to shake my head, why do I feel sorry for him? Why do I care that he is hurting? I shouldn't after all he has done. I began to walk towards him, his eyes following me, I wonder if he could see because he never said anything just stayed quiet.

Stood here by his bed I look at him, he actually looks worse than Marcus, only difference, he was able to breathe on his own and open his eyes.

"You came to see what he did to me?" His voice broke the silence, I don't know what to say, I don't know why I had walked in. "Your husband is quite a piece of work, nasty and a beast, just look at what he's capable of"

He is trying to make me hate Jackson, he has tried everything, so this was his way, I didn't respond, I don't know what to say. Why the hell did I walk in this room? I can't stop listening though, after what he had just done, I don't even know if I knew Jackson.

"Did you like the pictures? I thought that you might get angry with him, blame him for them but apparently not" The thought of him watching us flashed through my mind, trying to block it out as the image is making me feel sick.

"I have other images, just not you though. Some amazing ones, with Jackson and a little brunette woman, she seemed to be enjoying his company as well" My eyes flashed up at him, he was lying, no way would Jackson cheat.

"Don't believe me? Ask Jackson for my address, go there get the camera out the bag under the bed, everything you need will be there" 

I feel sick, I knew what he was doing, and I fought off the idea of Jackson cheating. 

"I can see why he went for her, she is different to you, she submits more and is perfect for him unlike you" 

I open my mouth to talk, to fight back to tell him he was wrong, but I feel like I was sinking, like I was in mud that wouldn't release me, it wouldn't let me move or talk. 

"The thing is Alena, you will never get over me, you will always love, want me and you just need to accept that, you and Jackson are nothing compared to what we are together, he should have been left to rot in that cell" 

That is it, the thing I needed to break me out of the mud holding me back.

"No, you are going to rot in a cell, you and only you. Calling him a beast, nasty when you're the real beast. Even now that you have failed you're still clutching to any hope you can find, well guess what Max, you don't fucking own me, and you don't scare me no more. You're a bully, and I swear if Marcus doesn't wake up, this is nothing compared to what I will do" 

My hand swung to hit him, his hand grabbing mine.

"What has he done to you? You used to be so good, you wouldn't dream of hitting me or talking to me like that, he messed you up and you need to realise before it is too late" 

His words hurt, I'm not sure why, but they do. 

"No, you messed me up, all those days you hit me, you took my phone and locked me in our house, the days you hid me away, so family couldn't see my bruises" I tried pulling my hand away but couldn't.

"See, you're fighting back, who are you?" 

His other hand gripped me neck, as I felt him choking me, I began to struggle against his grip, unable to break free, my other hand trying to prise his hand open to release my neck. It was useless, my body keeps fighting and he laughed. 

"Oh, look who has come to save you" 

My eyes looked in the direct he was looking, I could see Jackson, pushing the police out of the way. 

Swinging my hand, hitting him in the face as hard as I could, he didn't let go, I pushed my hand on his chest where a bandage was, he screamed in pain and released me from his grip, Jackson storming other fist's ready to hit him, I jumped in the way, stopping him, the last thing I want is him to be in trouble.

"Don't do it Jackson, it is what he wants" 

My hands trying to push him back, as I was still trying to inhale still feeling like my airways were restricted.

"Please Jackson, just don't he isn't worth it" 

My hands travelled up to his face, forcing him to look at me, I hardly recognise him, he was like a stranger, was this what he was like with me when he made me feel like crap? 

His eyes caught mine, he stepped back, now seeing I was okay, safe and not hurt he just smiled at Max. 

"You're lucky she hit you and escaped otherwise your arms would be broken as well" He walked out the room, I could tell he was angry with me as well. 

Following him I hoped he would talk or explain. Walking down the hospital corridor he finally stopped to face me, he looked angry, but mostly hurt.

"Why would you even go in there Alena?" His eyes delving into mine, waiting for me to reply to see if I was lying.

"I don't even know, I just did something made me go in there" I was honest, I have no idea at all.

"Don't lie to me" His voice no longer quiet, I was shocked stepping back my mind wondering who this person was.

Then realization hit he had lied, not me!

"I am not lying, I don't know why I went in there, if you want to talk about lies how about the one where you didn't mention breaking his leg?" I waited for his response, waiting to see what his excuse would be.

"I knew if I said that I went that far, you would want to come to see him, making sure he was okay. Your still attached, why else would you go in there?" 

Wow, I was not expecting that, thinking back I wondered if anything could have signalled I was still attached to him, nothing could so why would he think that?

It honestly, was not the best time for this conversation.

Jackson was hurting, I knew personally how much people say when they are in pain that they later regret or did not mean.