Book Two Chapter Forty-Four

It feels strange, seeing Jackson here again, I have got so used to Georgina and Liam. I wonder if they were still here or if they left, they don't have the apartment anymore

"Georgina and Liam will be back later, I have said they can stay till they sort a place out. They wanted to be out when we got home" 

He explains carrying the twins into the living room. I sit on the sofa, exhausted.

"Go to bed for a bit, I am here now so can watch the babies" He smiles, but I don't want to. I am afraid I will wake up and he will be gone again.

"I want to spend this time just us, come sit down" I ask, reaching for him. He walks over and sits next to me.

"I am sorry Alena, I messed everything up" I look at him, his face covered in fresh cuts and bruises.

"What happened? I don't get why you were locked up" I look at him waiting for answers.

"It was Max, he flipped when I mentioned I was going to be a dad to twins, we fought or rather he kept hitting me"

"Seeing I wasn't reacting, he threw something through a window, everyone came out with guns and started shooting, he ran and hid"

"I was behind barrels, I smelt one leaking so jumped into the river, swam down and got out, took off my jacket cause of how wet it was. Max was there hitting me again, the police came, he grabbed my things and ran, I was arrested"

"The people in the building confirmed I was the person who threw the stuff through the window, they locked me up. The cells are nothing, just cells"

"No beds, no sheets, just brick and bars" 

My words stopping him, my dream in my mind, he looks at me confused. He is breaking my heart, it is like my dream I should have fought for someone to fight for him. Tears rolled down from my eyes, as I remember the dreams.

"Some nights, I had dreams that you were there, stood outside the cell, I was screaming for you, my hands reaching you, but never seemed to be able to reach you" His dream mirrors mine.

"What about Max?" I ask, looking at him.

"No idea, I got flown back, someone told me you were in labour I came straight to the hospital" The thought that Max is still out there scares me.

"I missed you Alena, not one day went by I didn't think of you and our babies. I got minimal food, never allowed out the cell at all. Every day it was you and them who made me keep fighting when all I wanted to do was give up and ask to be shot" 

Hearing that hurt me. He pulls me to him cuddling me tighter.

"I won't be leaving you again, ever. I won't even risk it" 

His lips kissing my forehead. I cuddle into him and fell asleep, I wake up in my bed and for the first time in months, I wake up feeling refreshed. I roll over and the bed is empty, I panic thinking he has gone, walking out the room I walk downstairs and hear him talking.

"You have grown, and there is nothing I can do or say to show you how grateful I am, you kept her sane and fighting. Liam, I am sorry you were hurt by this" Jacksons voice full of sympathy.

"I had to grow up, I have seen her scared, alone and looking like she was going to go insane, she was a right mess most nights waking, screaming, dreaming about you locked in a cell"

"For the first month she didn't leave the house, she went to your funeral and that was it, she struggled to do anything even for the babies, Marcus was here he kept talking to her, but she wasn't here, her body was but nothing else" Liam carries on.