Episode 1 "Pilot" Part 2

"Talking"

"Thought"

Regular text

-Venus POV-

Exactly four hours has passed, and it was getting dark. I set up the lights to see the bones better. Temp was already examining the bones as I walked up to her. I look over at Zack who just helped putting up the last lights. "Hey, Zack could you take pictures." "Yes, I will get on it right away." "Thank you. Hey sis, it seems that the remains are wrapped in four-mil flat poly construction sheeting." Zacks speak in "PVC-coated chicken wire." Temp speaks up "Weighted. That's why the body didn't surface during decomposition. The skeleton is complete, but the skull is in fragments." Booth comes from behind me making me jump a bit. "Sorry blueberry. What can you tell me?" "It's fine Ranger, but we can't tell you that much. She's a young woman, probably between 18 and 22, approximately five foot three ..." Temp steps in "Race unknown, delicate features." "That's all?" "Tennis player." "How do you get a pretty tennis player out of that yuck?" 

Zack cuts in, "Epiphysis fusion gives age. Pelvic bone shape gives sex." Temp pipes in "Bursitis in the shoulder. Somebody this young, it must be an athletic injury. " "When did she die" "Eh ... " "'Eh'?! What does that even mean?" I pipe in "This means I get to take samples off her and let our bug and slime guy take a look. We will then give you an approximate time of death ranger. Don't worry I will make sure to get it to you by tomorrow morning around 9 if that works with you." "Hey ... the sooner the better blueberry." "Hoh, I see a challenge there Ranger." I quickly start to work collecting the samples off the body. As Temp speaks up. "No. clothing." "You know, in my line of work, no clothes usually means a sex crime." "In my line of work, it can also mean the victim favored natural fibers." "Ohhhh, sis give me that." She hands me the piece of clothing as Zack speaks in. "Your suit, for example, will outlast your bones by decades." I cut in as Booth makes a face at Zacks comment. "I need to collect silt, three meters radius to a depth of ten centimeters. I need someone to take these samples to Hodgins quickly and tell him if he could get time of death before nine I will get access for him to use one artifact in the history department for a week." All three turned and gave me a weird look. "What? I know how to bargain a deal." Temp speaks up "Your FBI forensics team can take the plastic and the chicken wire; we'll take the rest."

It was 5 am and Temp was arguing with Dr. Goodman and I as Zack was behind us listening. "I wish you both wouldn't just give me to the FBI." "First of all sis I didn't just give you to the FBI I also gave them myself. I would never give you to someone without me. We come in as a package. Also, as a federally funded institution, the Jeffersonian must seize every opportunity to prove our worth to our friends in Congress, right Boss?" "She is correct Dr. Brennan which means I loan you fit as I see fit, especially to federal agencies." "'Loan out' impies prpert, Dr. Goodman. The FBI will never respect mere property." "I do not view you as property, Dr. Brennan. You are one of the Jeffersonian's most valuable assets." Zack choses to speak up "An asset is, by definition, property." Boss sighs at this, "What's the rule, Mr. Addy?" "You only converse with PhDs. You realize I'm halfway through two doctorates? Two halves make a whole, so mathematically speaking ..." I chuckle cutting Zack off. "Maturity is when you stop making excuses and start making changes." Boss chuckles at my comeback as Zack sighs, "Roy Bennett, but I am older than you Dr. Venus." "True Mr. Addy but I am more mature than you and I already have three doctorates." At that I we left a speechless Zack as Temp speaks up. 

Dr. Goodman, FBI agents will never respect any of us as long as you simply dole out scientists like office temps." We all stop. "Dr. Brennan, are you playing me?" "You know I'm no good at that." "Mhmm. Thus far. But you have a disturbingly steep learning curve." Right before he leaves, I speak up. "Wait Boss! I finished all of my paper two weeks early as I promised and left it in your office as you like to organize them." "Thank you, Dr. Venus, you make my work life so much easier. I was right to hire you two years ago." "No problem Boss. Always happy to please you."