Episode 49 "The Con Man in the Meth Lab" Part 2

-Venus POV-

I nod as Wendell introduce himself, "Hello sir, I'm Wendell Bray. It's nice to meet you." They shake hands as Patrick says, "Pleasure is mine. What a fine mine you seem to be." I smile and nod, "Yes, we work together at the Jeffersonian." "I see, that reminds me did you finally find what you were looking for?" I give him a big gentle smile, "Yes, I did. I can even say that I found something even better than I expected." "I am glad to hear that. Well, I will let you two enjoy the party while I go around greeting other commanders and politicians." We chuckle and said our goodbyes. Once Patrick left we entered looking around for Temp as Wendell then asks, "You were in the military?" I sigh, "Yes, I served for 5 years, right before I started working at the Jeffersonian." "When did you start at the Jeffersonian?" "I was 18." "That doesn't make sense. If you started at the Jeffersonian at 18 and were in the military five years prior wouldn't that mean that you were enlisted at..." 

I gave him a sad smile, "Yeah, I was only 13 at the time..." He gave me sad eyes as I continue to explain, "I graduated collage at an early age and at that time I was in always being put in a different foster home every week. At the same time the government had created an experimental military program where they needed someone young that didn't really have a family and excelled in their academics... I was a prime example of their ideal person, so I was taken in and..." I didn't realize that I had a tear coming down my face as Wendell put his hand on my cheek wiping the tear away as I look at him seeing him giving his whole attention to what I was saying with no judgmental eyes and a small sad smile. I shake it off, "But the point is that I am doing better now since I found my family and have friends that I care about and care for me." He nods as I then say, "We should keep looking for my sister, but if you have any questions, I could try my best to give you answers." He nods smiling thinking of something, "I just thought of something. If you started at the Jeffersonian at 18, are you at your final year of being an intern?" 

I was confused as I look at him, "Huh? I am not an intern." He was shocked, "What?! I thought you were, since when I saw you. You had the intern lab coat on." I then remembered what he was talking about as I chuckle, "I see. No, I lost a bet with Hodgins and had to wear that for at least four cases that we had. I already got my PhD... well I have three PhD's. I have them in Forensic Anthropology, Archaeology, and Geology/ Mineralogy." He was even more shocked, "That means you have been my superior and been calling you improperly this whole time." I laugh, "I guess I am, but I really prefer you addressing me as you always do Bub." He smiles, "All right, Doll." 

We chuckle and walk around a bit looking for Temp and talking about random things. A few hours later we spotted Temp and Jared talking and laughing as I look at Wendel, "Let's get closer." He nods as we stay hearing distance out of their view as Jared says, "Don't be fooled. It's a school of piranhas in here." They chuckle as Temp says, "You're good at this. They listen to you when you speak. Venus is almost the same back at the lab." Jared nods, "You want to know the secret? You have an incredibly beautiful, incredibly intelligent scientist- slash novelist sitting alone waiting for you to bring her a drink... That is too corny." "Definitely. I was thinking how Booth and Venus would be bored at a function like this." I nod as Wendell laughs a bit. Jared then says, "This kind of event would make Seeley very nervous, and if anything, your sister may be a bit like him as well. I don't mean that they are not incapable. My brother's very, very capable. Even your sister looks capable. It's just... it's like they are afraid of success. They are the type to stay in their comfort zone. I know it drove our dad nuts." "Really?"

I was getting upset knowing that Booth isn't that type of person. Sure, I do get nervous, but I know that we aren't afraid of success. We are the type to put people we care about first even before thinking about our own happiness. But what made me really upset was that Temp was actually believing him. Wendell saw this and put his hand in mine giving it a reassuring squeeze as squeezed it back a bit letting him know that I was going to be okay. We then hear Jared say, "Maybe that's what made Seeley a good sniper and your sister a faceless legend. They don't like to be visible when taking out an enemy, so they keep their heads low. Instinct. Me, on the other hand, well, I cannot help but run that ridge." "Can you give me an example?"