Episode 76 "The Predator in the Pool" Part 1

Venus POV

We had some guest today at the Jeffersonian from the FBI as Andrew Booth's boss brought along Dr. Bryar who was the one to bring a piece of human remain as we all walked together inside the lab as she starts explaining, "On Tuesday morning, a dead tiger shark washed up on Rehoboth Beach. Its stomach contained the undigested remains of a human leg." Booth then says, "Ouch." We looked at him as Temp asks, "What's wrong?" "That's gotta hurt." Dr. Bryar says, "A seasoned law enforcement agent... who still has empathy for a victim- I'm glad to know you're out there." Booth smiles and looks at her, "At your service." Andrew then says, "Dr. Bryar is from the National Atmos-Ocean Association. Called us this morning."

Dr. Bryar corrects him, "The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration." Temp then says, "Well, Andrew was joking. He likes to put people at ease. It's a nice quality." Booth then says, "Yeah, everybody likes to laugh." He then points the remains foot as, "Except that guy." They laugh as Dr. Brayer says, "The weird thing is nobody reported a shark attack anywhere along the eastern seaboard." Andrew then asks, "Do you think you can make an identification from the leg? I've seen these two sisters I.D. a victim from a single fingernail clipping." Temp then says confused, "But we've never done that." I then say, "He meant it figuratively, Temp." Booth adds, "Well, maybe not that. But, you know, things like that, you know?" We all looked at him as he acts awkwardly around Dr. Bryar as he continues speaking, "They're my partner. I'm sure we could help you out." And then he brings me over to the front pointing out, "Plus our blueberry here the Director of the Jeffersonian. Whatever she says they do." I smile a bit as Dr. Brayer looks at me a bit shocked, "Excuse me for my surprised look, you look fairly young, and I apologize for not coming to talk to you first about this matter. But I'd be grateful."

I shake her hand, "It's all right, I get that a lot. But you're not wrong about me being fairly young to be the Director. I believe it's a nice advantage as it gets me to see others true colors when they don't recognize me as their superior at first. We'd be pleased to help out with this case." She nods, "Thank you." She then looks at Booth who was already looking at her as he nods as well, "Yeah." It was a weird atmosphere as I looked between both Booth and Dr. Bryar seeing some sort of attraction between the two as I slowly move away from the middle not wanting to be in the middle of their stare.

I cough a bit as Booth looks at us then back to Dr. Bryar, "Yeah, I should go and clear out. I'll let you do your thing-" He backs up bumping into something as he catches himself still acting weird as he the turns away and leaves glancing at Dr. Bryar one last time. I looked at the whole thing in amusement as Andrew then says, "Well, that was a speedy exit. Shall we?" We all nod as Temp and I swipe our cards letting the two up as well as we begin examining the foot. Temp begins, "The victim is likely male." I then add picking up the foot, "These shallow cuts and deep gouges, in conjunction with location of recovery, are likely indications of C.O.D." Temp adds, "We- We need to count osteons to determine age. But the length of the tibia indicates a height of between 5' foot and 5'6."

Andrew asks, "A short guy got bit by a shark?" I looked at him confused, "Short? I'm 5'4." He looks at me for a moment, "Sorry." I nod as continuing, "Now, these look like six-ridged dermal denticles." Dr. Bryar then says, "Well, that can't be. A tiger shark doesn't have dermal denticles." Temp then says, "Then the victim encountered multiple predators at the same time." "That is highly unlikely." I then point out, "Well, this simple symmetrical bite." She nods, "That's a tiger shark." I nod pointing at the other bite, "This is different. Some kind of small conical canine." Dr. Bryar looked surprised, "That's a red snapper." I then point to another, "Then... this serrated bite." Dr. Bryar looks even more shocked, "Oh, my God. A hammerhead."

Andrew then asks confused, "What? This sounds good." Dr. Bryar explains, "Hammerheads are tropical. It's unlikely you'd find one this far north." Temp then asks, "Where's the nearest place a tiger shark, a hammerhead... and a red snapper could coexist?" Andrew suggests, "How about the aquarium?" We look at him as he chuckles a bit, "You don't get to be deputy of the F.B.I... by just dressing well and kissing ass." Dr. Bryar and I looked at him with a really look as he then says, "Okay, yeah, that's most of it. But I'm probably right about the aquarium."