Episode 9 "The Woman in the Car" Part 2

-Venus POV-

I went with Booth as Temp continued on the victim. We are in Booth's office talking with the victim's sister. The sister was speaking, "They left this morning, very early, about 5:00 a.m. Donovan is on the swim team. Oh, my Good..." I then ask, "You and your sister were close?" "Yes. When Polina and Carl separated, she and Donovan came to stay with me. This is terrible." Booth then asks, "Can you think of anyone who'd want to hurt your sister?" "It must be Carl. Maybe he was afraid she would take Donovan away from him." "Would she have done that?" "No. Never." "You don't like your brother-in-law?" "He's supposed to be brilliant; I know. But he is also cold, angry. Everything has to be just so." I ask, "Why did Carl and your sister separate?" "Polina said he was having affair. I thought, 'Who'd want him?' But she found credit card receipts from a motel he went to once, sometimes twice a week. When she confronted Carl, he was furious, wouldn't talk about it. So, she left him. Please find Donovan. Find my sister's boy." She held our hands and cried.

Booth and I were now at the company as the CEO Mr. Seward talks, "Carl Decker is not only a disgruntled employee, he's, uh, uh...  What-What's the term?" We look over at Ms. Pomeroy, "As a lawyer, the, uh, legal term is, nuts and a pain in the ass..." "Oppositional Defiance Disorder and paranoia is what I read." "Like I said, nuts and a pain in the ass." I then asked, "Where did you read that?" Ms. Pomeroy slides over a file and Booth picks it up as he says, "You had Carl Decker investigated?" She nods, "He's making extremely damaging allegations against the company." Mr. Seward speaks up, "False allegations." Booth then asks, "Can you think of anyone who'd want to kill his wife and kidnap his son?" She then says, "It wasn't us." I then pipe in, "He didn't say it was." "Oh, please. We have to top your list of suspects." Mr. Seward cuts in, "Look, we-we have an in-house system for dealing with whistle-blowers. We encourage it. I served in Vietnam, Agent Booth, Dr. Venus. I saw what soldiers see. If I read correctly Agent Booth, you know what I mean." "Army. 75th Regiment." "Rangers lead the way. I would never risk the lives of soldiers by knowingly providing them with defective armor, and I welcome Carl Decker's appearance at the grand jury, because he is wrong." Ms. Pomeroy speaks, "Carl Decker did brilliant work for us, but he alienated everyone he worked with. You should look for your murderer and kidnapper elsewhere." I then speak with a smile, "Well, I hope you are both right about that. We wouldn't like to put our brothers and sisters on risk like that, wouldn't we Ranger." "No, we wouldn't."

We made our way back to the lab as Temp comes over to us, "Where have you both been?" I spoke first, "I was with Ranger." Booth then speaks, "I'm a field agent. We were out in the field. What did you find out?" "There was a piece of an ear in the victim's mouth. It looks like she bit it off." I pipe in "I knew that part." She nods and asks, "Have you found anything?" "A lot. No reason for the attitude." "Well, I beg your pardon?" "Well, it's not like you've been doing all the work, and I've been kicking back." "Okay, what have you both found out?" Booth begins, "The victim and her husband were having marital problems. She found motel receipts. I got the security tapes from the motel parking lot. I thought Angela could use her fat recognition program on them." "Uhh... Ranger it's mass recognition program." "Whatever, maybe we'll be able to find out who Decker was seeing behind his wife's back. Is Angela in her office?"

I was up on the platform with Temp as Zack spoke, according to the FBI pathologist, there was no smoke in the victim's lungs." Temp then asks, "Meaning?" "The victim was already dead when she was burned. There was clotting in the lungs, as well." I look down at the bones, "That's troublesome." "If the fire was hot enough... " "Uh, no, Zack, for clotting to occur, superheated air would have to be drawn into the lungs." "Which wouldn't happen if she was already dead." I nod, "Something else caused the clotting." Booth then comes up, "Angela's ready with the tapes." Zack continues, "The broken teeth could have resulted from particularly violent seizures." Booth then asks, "Epilepsy?" "There are several alternate causes of acute tonic muscular contractions. Poisoning, a precipitous drop in blood sugar... "