Episode 41 "The Verdict in the Story" Part 2

-Venus POV-

The hearings were done for the day as we went back to the jail to discuss our further plans on the case trial. Dad was first to speak, "I mean, shouldn't you be objecting a little more, asking for sidebars and more like that?" Russ adds, "The jury looks at Dad kind of mean." I sigh, "I know he is, but things are coming into play slowly just as I planned out would happen." Mr. Barron nods, "They're having a horrific crime described to them. They have to blame someone." Dad nods, "Yeah. Me!" I shake my head as Temp says, "No, all they've done so far is establish that a murder occurred." Russ adds, "Everybody knew that before." I nod, "Yes and that's what we want if this plan that we laid out is to work." Mr. Barron adds, "They have to establish that you are responsible." Dad then says, "Well, it sounds like they have." "We have to discuss putting you on the stand." "Absolutely, put me on. Didn't that lady say I ooze charm?" "First question you'll be asked is, "Did you murder Deputy Director Kirby?" We watch as Dad hesitates, "No, I did not."

Mr. Barron then looks at me as I shake my head letting him know that Dad won't be able to withstand being on the stand. He sighs, "I can't put you on." Dad then asks, "Well, what? I'm not emotional enough? I would never kill another man." "You can't be put on stand because it would be obvious to the judge, the jury and blind Martians that your loving family doesn't believe you." Russ then says, "We'll wait outside when Dad's on the stand." Dad then says, "Thanks a lot. So I'm on the hot seat and you guys are out getting ice cream?" Mr. Barron then says, "Kids don't believe their dad, no way the jury does. Next issue to consider... is Russ."

Russ then says, "Let them put me on the stand." "They think you witnessed a murder." "I didn't. I wasn't there." I nod believing him as Temp didn't feel or look the same way as I as Russ saw as he then saws again, "I wasn't there!" Mr. Barron then says, "As an officer of the court, I cannot put you on the stand if I think you're gonna prejure yourself." Temp then asks, "You think Russ is lying?" "I don't know. Which worries me." Temp had decided to trust in Russ words as she and I say at the same time, "No, he's not." Temp adds, "I've known Russ since he was a child, and I can tell when he's lying; he's not lying." Russ then adds, "You can put me on the stand. I didn't witness anything that they can use against my father." I wasn't to sure as I did believe him... but I still don't think he should be put on the stand. But dad then says, "Attaboy." I sigh and look at Mr. Barron, "We should take a few minutes with each other, and then we strategize more on this trial and figure out different outcomes we could take." Mr. Barron nods, "That's a good idea." He then picks up his brief case and knocks on the window letting the guards know that he was ready to get out.

Mr. Barron walks out as Dad then says, "A country full of unscrupulous lawyers, and you find the one guy with scruples." Temp and I looked at Russ as he also looked at us then at Dad as he says, "Dad, Tempe's and Ven pretty sure you killed that man. And I don't think they can see how you wear that so lightly." Dad then looks at us, "Tempe, Ven... I'm ashamed of a lot of things I did in my life. But in this case, my conscience is clear." Temp then says, "That's no the same as being innocent." Dad nods a bit as I then say, "I understand you Dad... I also done a lot of things in the past that still haunts me, even though I tell myself that what I did was for the greater good than myself... but in this case I feel I would've done the same as you if it meant to protect what I care most about in my life. I don't think I will have the same clear conscience as you... but I would at least know that I did it for those that I actually care about. So... I will make sure we succeed and support you to our fullest." Dad and I then hug for a minute or two as we then hear knocking on the window as we separate seeing it was time for us to leave. I go back over to Russ and Temp as they side hug me as well.

Temp and I then decided to go visit Angie. We see her behind a cell as Temp says to her, "Angela, please, just go on the stand and say that you identified the victim." Angie shakes her head, "No." "But... I-I want you to do that." "Do you really think that your father is gonna beat this rap?" "That has nothing to do with it." I sigh, "Temp, it does. Angie is doing this because she also knows the outcome if she takes the stand." Angie nods, "I'm not gonna help send your father to his death." Temp asks, "To his death?" I look at Temp, "You don't realize it Temp, "Dad is believed to have killed a very important higher up at the FBI. You need to realize that other big FBI guys aren't going to try for an execution on him?" Temp then says, "That-That's not up to us. That's not up to you. That's up to a jury." Angie then says, "That's not the point." "What is the point?" "Friends don't send friends' fathers to the electric chair." "Maryland uses leathal injection." "Well the principle holds, honey."