Episode 13 "The Man in the Morgue" Part 2

-No One POV-

Booth and Brennan drive to a voodoo shop. They entered and Booth started to smell something, "Oh, what's that smell?" Brennan answers, "I imagine everything smells in here." "Oh. Oh... Please just tell me that that car survived Katrina."  Booth whistles as the owner of the shop comes up to them, "We used it to evacuate." Booth looks up, "Did you restore it yourself, or did you use, uh, voodoo?" "Ah... An unbeliever. What can I do for you?" "You, uh... you know what that is?" Booth puts down the evidence bag that contains the spell that Sam found in the victim earlier. "This is a dark spell. Forbidden magic, very strong. This is Secte Rouge. I certainly wouldn't make anything like this." "But you have the ingredients here." "Well, the individual ingredients are not malignant. It is how they are combined and what intention they are used for that makes a spell good or bad." 

Brennan then asks, "Do you recognize me?" "No. Should I?" Booth then asks, "Anyone else work here?" "My daughter, Eva. What is this about?" "We are conducting an investigation." "Eva! What kind of investigation?" Brennan asks, "Is it true that this is the only place a person can buy black gum root?" "Yes. Most places like this are all gone now. It's not a coincidence." Booth and Brennan look at each other as Eva comes out, "Yes, Daddy?" "Have you ever seen this lady before?" "No. Why?" Brennan answers, "We need to know who's bought this lately?" "Don't they need a warrant?" Benoit the owner laughs, "Eva will pull what you need on the computer. Eva..." Booth then asks, "What you said before. What'd you mean it's just a coincidence?" "Most places like this where a houngan, a priest, can get what he needs -- they are all gone now." 

Brennan speaks, "Because of the hurricane and flood." "Which occurred because of a lack of balance." "Mr. Benoit, are you suggesting that Secte Rouge somehow conjured up a hurricane?" Eve then cuts in, "Secte Rouge voodoo is much more powerful than ours." Mr. Benoit denies her claim, "No, Eva. Not more powerful. Destruction is easier than harmony, but not more powerful. There are a lot of misunderstandings about voodoo." Booth nods, "Yeah, I know that whole zombie stuff puts a crimp in your public relations, I bet." Eva then comes up to them with some papers, "These are the people who bought black gum root in the past month." Brennan reads the paper noticing a name, "Graham Legiere, the medical examiner." Booth takes the paper and looks at it as well.

They are at Graham home now as Booth tried to get in contact with Graham, "I tried to get in touch with him." Brennan states, "He was scheduled to be out in the field this week." Brennan opens his front door, "Graham? It's Temperance." "What if he's not here?" "He's probably asleep. He's been working nights. Graham! Graham?" "Cracker." "Hey that's not funny. I think he invited me to dinner that night, or drinks. Can't remember." "Mm-hmm. You know what? Maybe he roofied you and Blueberry saw you all knocked up and tried to help you, but he stabbed her. "I'm sure he bought the black gum root to look into its medicinal qualities." "Yeah, because we all know how effective that is." "Voodoo healing is quite effective. No crazier than acupuncture or exorcism." Hey, hey. Easy on the Catholics. Okay? Just easy. Your sister is also Catholic. Bones." 

Booth points out to a mirror as Brennan starts to get flashbacks on the day everything happened and remembers being in the house before. She starts to walk off as Booth looks at her, "There you go again. Bones!" He follows her as she goes upstairs to the second floor as she recalls more and more of the event as Booth asks, "Are you okay?". "Something bad happened here. They got away." Booth looks at her and goes to open the door. They enter to see a Grahams body mantled up on the wall with half of his body skinned and a knife stuck out of his chest as Booth speaks, "Oh, yeah. Something bad."

Detective Harding and her forensic team are at the scene collecting evidence as she goes up to the two. "What exactly were you doing here?" Brennan speaks, "It's Graham, isn't it?" "Tell you what, Dr. Brennan. I'm going to ask the questions." Booth then cuts in, "Oh, come on, Detective. She was working with the guy." "How closely?" Brennan then asks, "What's that suppose to mean?" "Answer my question, please. What brought you here? Was it a social call? Business? Revenge killing?" Booth cuts in again, "Look, Legiere bought some black gum root from the voodoo store. We just stopped by to ask why." "Why?" Brennan was confused, "That's what we came here to ask." "You want to look behind me and remind yourselves why I'm a little low on sense of humor?" "What? That wasn't a joke." Booth sighs a bit, "All right, she's not wisecracking. She just tends to be a bit, you know, literal." Brennan continues, "Day before yesterday Venus and I showed a voodoo expert a mojo that Graham found lodged in the mouth of John Doe 361." "This, uh, voodoo consultation. Did it occur before or after amnesia?" Booth adds, "The amnesia's real." Brennan continues, "Graham purchased a rare ingredient at a voodoo shop on Pontchartain Ave." "So Graham made voodoo spells, shoved them into corpse's mouths and pretend to be surprised when he found them?"