Episode 72 "The Dentist in the Ditch" Part 2

Venus POV

We are at a football field with Booth as we watch men practicing as Booth says, "There's only one amateur full-contact league in the D.C. area, so it wasn't hard to find out which team Dan played for." We then see one tackled to the ground harshly as Temp says, "Well, they are not unlike mountain rams... that butt heads in attempt to attract a mate." We then see Booth catch a ball that was overthrown with ease as Temp continues, "It's hard to believe that brain damage isn't a result." Booth looks at her, "It's amazing. You can even make football sound bad, Bones." He then throws the football back as we head to the main coach as he says, "Come on, ladies. My little sister hits harder than that. Filmore, do you want to me to get you a skirt?" I then ask, "What's wrong with a skirt?" Temp then says, "He's challenging their masculinity to enhance aggression." Booth explains, "That's coach talk. It's the way coaches talk. Let me handle this." We go up to the coach as Booth says, "Excuse me. Coach, F.B.I. Special Agent Seeley Booth. These here are my partners, Dr. Temperance Brennan and Dr. Venus Brennan. Like to ask you a few questions about Dan Pinard." "Yeah, well, he better be in prison. That's the only excuse I'll accept for how long he's been gone." "We found his body." The coach looked shocked, "Oh, my god." "I'm sorry. Did any of Dan's teammates or opponents have any problems with him?" "What, he was murdered?" "Mmm." "No. No, no. Uh, all the guys loved Dan." Temp then asks, "Is it possible that someone's masculinity was threatened... and that person killed Dan because he was a homosexual?"

I looked at Temp, "Way to ease into that one, Temp." Booth adds, "That's smooth." The coach then says, "No, that's definitely not an issue with my guys." "What makes your team so highly evolved, Coach?" "Meet the Cardinals, Agent Booth. We're all gay." We see two guys hit into each other as the Coach says, "Good hit!" I nod, "Yeah, I don't think that's the problem anymore Ranger..." We had the coach gather the team together as Booth asks, "So, anybody here have any problems with Dan? Disagreements, arguments, fights?" A player then says, "Everyone here joined this team... because a lot of the straight players don't want us on their teams. We're like family. No one here hurt Dan. No way." "And you're all gay?" The coach then says, "Oh, I suppose, statistically, we could have two or three straights who are still in the closet." The players laugh a bit as Temp then gets our attention, "Booth, Ven, this is Dan's equipment bag. I found his protective headgear inside." We go up to her as Booth says, "That's a helmet, Bones." I look inside as she says, "There's blood on the inside of the lip. It approximates the location of the fracture on Dan's forehead." I nod adding, "The force could have cracked his skull and killed him." Booth asks the coach, "Are you sure nothing happened here? One of your guys- they could've probably hit Dan practice a little too hard, try to cover it up." "What are you saying?" "You lose your insurance, you're kicked out of the league, but, hey, it was just an accident, right?" Booth then announces to the team, "I tell you what. Anybody who's got plans for this weekend, just cancel 'em." The coach then says, "What are we, suspects? Because of blood on a football helmet?" "Because of blood inside of a football helmet. Isn't that right, Bones, Blueberry?" We nod, "That's correct."

Temp and I are in the bone examination room with Angie as she says, "Four years ago, Jared's girlfriend was a hooker?" Temp corrects her, "An escort. I believe, in the hierarchy, of prostitution, an escort ranks equal to high-class call girl." "And now she teaches grade school?" We nod as I say, "I don't se any other injuries to the bone that could be cause of death." Temp then says, "That leads us back to the head trauma. Apparently the rule is: once a sex worker, always a sex worker." Angie then says, "You know, it really would have been better if Booth never ran her record." I nod agreeing as Temp says, "He said it was my infuence, that it was the rational thing to do." Angie shakes her head, "No, honey, he's rationalizing. Which makes what he did irrational because he's rationalizing... that Jared cannot make rational decisions for himself. You do the same thing all the time. Maybe that's what he learned from you." Temp seems to think about it as I then say, "In order to be fatal, whatever struck the frontal, bone... had to be pointed enough to pierce the brain." Angie then says, "Now, wait a second. Is Booth gonna tell Jared about this?" I shrug as Temp says, "I believe that's his plan." "What if Jared and this woman are really in love? Booth could ruin everything." Temp then says, "Well, not if, as Booth always asserts, love conquers all." Angie scoffs a bit, "Yeah, well, this is gonna be one hell of a test case."