Episode 14 "The Soldier on the Grave" Part 2

-Venus POV-

We are at the base Camp speaking with the Colonel and Captain as the Colonel starts standing up saying, "It's a pleasure to finally meet you Dr. Brennan, Dr. Venus. You've helped us with some casualties we never thought we be able to ID. And I have read you file, and I am impressed on your rankings for both the Navy and Army at such a young age." I was a bit uncomfortable talking about my time in the military, but I still smiled and answered, "Yes, I worked very hard to get those honorable titles. And for Dr. Brennan's and my work we hope someday maybe we won't be needed." "That's what we all hope. Captain Fuller, give Agent Booth, Dr. Brennan, and Dr. Venus all the help they need." "Yes, sir." 

The Colonel leaves as Captain Fuller speaks, "Please." Booth is first to speak, "So this is your third tour in Iraq, Captain?" "Yes, a National Guard unit can be difficult to lead. Nothing against the Guard, but usually they're inexperienced, shortchanged on equipment. But Kent's unit, they were one of the best I ever had." "And Devon Marshall?" "Marshall was a good soldier. But after he came back, he seemed to turn against the military, saw us as the problem over there. You both must have known men like that." Booth then says, "Some people just aren't cut out for it." I nod thinking about how strong leveled a person must be to be in the military. I am able to endure it well enough, but I still have my flaws." Brennan then says, "Like Jimmy Merton." "Jimmy's been having some troubles, but he still supports us." 

I then ask, "Both Marshal and Jimmy seem like they had trouble getting over Corporal Kent's death." Booth then asks, "Any idea why it was so tough for them? I mean, tougher than usual?" "We were on a patrol in Mosul. Intel reports indicated there were insurgents in this neighborhood. We were canvassing the area. Private Campbell- she stayed in the Humvee as the unit headed toward a small house up the street. There were five of us. Kent, Marshall, Merton, Lefferts and myself. It was a small house, two rooms. I looked through a slat and saw three insurgents in the back room, one a woman. The men had AK-47s.  I sent Kent and Lefferts to cover the back, so no one could run. I was getting the others into position when one of the insurgents must have spotted Kent. I hear the pop-pop-pop of the enemy AK-47. Kent made entry to take the out before they could get to the rest of us. Lefferts followed him in while we were kicking in the front door. When we got to them, Kent had already been killed taking out the insurgents. A sight like that stays with you. For two part-timers like that, I guess it was too much. But whatever Marshall was trying to do, desecrating Kent's grave, Kent saved the unit. Marshall can't take that away." Booth then says, "Devon Marshall was murdered, Captain."
Temp and I looked at Booth with a bit wide eye, "God..." " Any bad blood between him and Jimmy Merton?" "Not that I know of." I then add, "We only have the after-action summary of the incident. We'd like to have the full report, Kent's autopsy, the photographs you took of the scene, and any other evidence that exists." "You'll have whatever you need." 

We are now walking outside as Temp tells Booth, "I thought we were keeping the murder to ourselves." "He's the Company Commander, Bones. He's a decorated officer." I then add, "I don't think it was a good idea if we told him, plus it doesn't matter if he has a high rank. I am a Lieutenant Commander in the Navy and a Major in the army, if it is like that then I outrank the captain." Booth then looks at me, "You are a lieutenant Commander and Major?" "Yes... But that's not the point I am trying to make Ranger." Brennan nods adding, "And you think a soldier wouldn't kill someone?" Booth looks at her, "Oh, suddenly it's your job to question the motives of everyone who serves?" I then answer, "She doesn't mean it like that Ranger, she is trying to say that she is trying to solve a murder. Even though it does sound a bit offensive." Temp then continues, "You treat him like you would anyone else involved in an investigation. You both are not in the military anymore, Booth, Venus." I look at Temp, "But I am nice to everyone I meet Temp." "Your right, then it's just you Booth." "I will find out who killed Devon Marshall. That's all you need to know."