Episode 42 "The Wannabe in the Weeds" Part 2

-Venus POV-

It was already dark as Temp, Booth, and I went to check out the Checker Box as we hear singers preform. We are sitting in one of the tables listening as Booth was making a face saying that this isn't so good. Temp walks over to us as Booth says, "Finally. I mean, one more show tune, and I was gonna start shooting." Temp then says listening to the singer, "He has excellent projection. I heard him while I was parking." I nod as Booth then says, "Yeah. Okay, we talked to some of the patrons here. Open Mike Night is every Monday and Tuesday." I nod as someone turns around and shh's us." Booth still continues, "Actually, some of these people think this stuff is good." Temp then asks, "What's Open Mike Night?" We looked at her as he says, "It's uh, cabaret meets karaoke- you know." I add, "It for singers who want to get discovered." Booth nods agreeing with me as the woman that shushed us turns back around looking at us, "Will you please be quiet?"

Temp then says, "Based on the E. coli in Tommy's blood, he definitely was here shortly before he was killed." "Pammy said he was musical." We watch as the singer hits a high tune as I nod impressively as Temp says, "This guy is not bad." Booth chuckles, "You're kidding me." I shake my head, "She's not wrong Ranger. He shows a lot of enthusiasm." Temp nods as we then hear a man that was accompanying the woman say to us, "Dude. Do I need to get the manager?" Booth then says, "Dude, actually, you know what, that would be great. Why don't you..." He takes out his badge, "point him out to us?" The man points us to a table that shows another man writing something down. I then clap with Temp as the singer finishes his song as we then hear the manager go up saying, "Up, next the smooth and smoky Chris Calabasas." The said person walks pass us as Booth then calls up the manager, "Excuse me? Agent Booth, FBI." The manager sighs, "Oh, come on, I told you guys everything I know. I bought from a company out of Maryland. I gave the CDC guy the bill of sale and the remaining honey- what else you want from me?"

I then say, "No, we're not here about the E. coli. We are here to speak with you about Tommy Sour." Booth adds, "We believed he was murdered." The manager asks, "Murdered?" Temp asks, "Were you friends?" "Well, he was good for business, talented. Showed up at every Open Mike Night since day one. When I didn't see him around, I figured... he got a paying gig, you know?" Booth asks, "Anything unusual about his final performance?" "No. Everybody loved him, like always." "Everybody thinks they're the next Kelly Clarkson." "Yeah, you got that right." Temp and I ask, "Who's Kelly Clarkson?" Booth looks at us, "American Idol, 'Because of You." Temp and I were confused as she asks, "Because of me?" "Never mind, okay? Just stay here, not up there." He turns back to the manager, "So, did he have any enemies?" "Yeah. You're listening to him right now. There was a talent scout here that night. Tommy stole his song. Chris had to default to 'Piano Man." "Ooh, that hurts!" "When Chris finished singing, he-he pulled Tommy aside, and they started shoving each other. I told them to take it outside. They disappeared into the parking lot."

I then ask, "Then what?" "I never saw Tommy again." The song finishes as everyone applause. We are now sitting with Chris as he says, "Tommy Sour was a jerk. He'd fill the joint with his fitness groupies who'd hoot and holler even when he sang off-key, and then they'd talk through the other acts. You know what that does to a singer's self-esteem?" I then say, "I would imagine that it would really bring down your self-esteem and confidence." Temp nods, "It's a primal human need, the foundation for royalty..." Booth stopped her, "Okay, you're just gonna confuse him. Go on." Chris then says, "Tommy thought he was gonna make it big. He showed me a check he wrote to himself for a million bucks, said he'd be cashing it by Christmas." Booth then asks, "Well, was he any good?" "Last month he had some dude videotape his set. It's up on his MySpace page- you can check it for yourself."

Temp then says, "This guy is good." Booth and I chuckle at Temp as Booth then says, "Thank you, Paula." I laugh as Booth continued, "Could.. we just focus here?" I nod as he continues with Chris. "So the night Tommy was killed, the two of you got into an argument over a song?" "Not just a song, my song. 'Far Away' by Nickelback. Tommy knew that I was saving that for scout night." "That make you a little angry?" "I didn't kill the guy. We went outside, I vented, and Tommy took off." "That was it- you just said, 'Good-bye, see you later'?" "I came back inside- I wanted to introduce myself to the talent scout. He's back again- you can ask him yourself."