Chapter 14: Chips and Fries!

Potatoes, root crops which were considered important in the history of Earth. When there was famine, potatoes kept the people fed and satisfied. Even in modern times, potatoes were still popular, coming in all kinds of food varieties. An ingredient which has become a staple in multiple cuisines all around the world.

Seeing the almost mythical potatoes he had searched for no avail in the kitchen counters, Grey's eyes were almost trickling from tears for happiness. Finally, his 3-year search for the potatoes was over.

With potatoes in his hands, he could achieve new heights in cooking and improve his dishes by leaps and bounds. Not only that, he could only imagine the variety of snacks he could eat with them.

"Chief!" [Grey]

Dashing like the wind, Grey immediately headed back to the living room where the others were waiting, surprising them with his sudden shout.

"Y-Yes...?" [Chief]

Even the very carefree and casual chief answered in a formal tone from surprise.

"Could I borrow some of these potatoes?!" [Grey]

"Potatoes...?" [Chief]

Hearing Grey's words, the chief tilted his head from confusion. Not only him, even Marlon was also confused. After all, potatoes were crops which were frowned upon by the world.

Inside the village, everyone has understood how to properly prepare potatoes to prevent food poisoning, but in the eyes of the public, it was still food which brings about a terrible stomach ache to those who eat them. It was also the reason why they couldn't sell potatoes despite having a good amount of them.

Seeing Grey act so excited at the mere sight of those forsaken crops, chief and Marlon became increasingly puzzled as time passed. As even if Grey did know how to prepare them, it was just another simple crop after all.

The only person who wasn't surprised was Yuna. Even when she knew that potatoes can cause food poisoning, her trust in Grey was stronger. After all, their 3 years of living together weren't for nothing,

"Y... You can use as much as you want. But what will you be using them for, young man?" [Chief]

"That's a secret! You'll know soon enough!" [Grey]

As suddenly as he appeared, Grey suddenly came back to the kitchen once again, leaving behind an even more puzzled chief and Marlon.

Humming to the sound of sizzling oil, Grey quickly peeled the potatoes and separated into two groups. One group where sliced into thin pieces, while the other were turned into long sticks.

Of course, Grey didn't forget the other dishes he was cooking beforehand. Luckily, none of it was burnt when he left the kitchen.

With his "Divine Mind's" third effect, "Multitask", he was able to keep checking multiple tasks as if he had multiple consciousness. It was the effect he had unlocked upon reaching B-rank, about the same time they first celebrated Yuna's birthday.

Not only in battle, it was also helpful in everyday lives in situations like what Grey is currently having. With it, he was able to use both his hands to perform two entirely different tasks while using magic to perform others.

With a few chops and slices, two bowls of potatoes were quickly finished. And with Grey's "Divine Eyes", the slices were done thinly and precisely as if a machine was the one which made it.

After slicing and chopping them, Grey then washed it lightly and soaked it in salt water. He left it there for about half an hour as he prepared the other meat dishes and cooked the rice.