Chapter 172: Hidden in the Depths

Streams of cold, crystal-clear water cascading down the forest, shining like silver as the gentle sunlight strikes its surface. The stream of silver flowed freely, undisturbed by rocks and logs which had fallen whilst the sound of gushes and splashes echoed about in the air.

Along the riverbank, two beautiful figures walked silently, only their footsteps to be heard. They were Yuna and Amelia, two peerless beauties who looked like fairies of the forest with the flower-filled background behind them.

They have walked for a couple minutes already yet they have not arrived at the part of the riverbank Amelia had previously mentioned. Yuna already had her suspicions from the beginning, but now, she was certain.

"Amelia, we aren't going to pick shells, are we?" [Yuna]

At Yuna's words, Amelia's footsteps stopped, and so did Yuna's. The red-haired lady then turned around, a worried smile on her face as she looked at Yuna. There was a certain reason why she walked in front. She did not want her friend to see her with such an expression on her face.

"I really can't hide it from you, huh, Yuna..." [Amelia]

"Well, it was just strange that there's only shells in one part of the riverbank, plus you also refused inviting the boys. It's quite obvious, you know!" [Yuna]

"Fufufu, I see... I'm obvious, huh..." [Amelia]

The young lady laughed but there was still the same worried expression on her face. Yuna didn't press her further and asked her to sit under the shade of a tree nearby instead. It still hasn't started but it already felt like it's going to be a long talk.

"Yuna, please answer me honestly... Do you think I was being too harsh on His Highness?" [Amelia]

Such a simple question, yet the answer was very hard to find. Ever since this morning, Amelia has been brooding over such a question yet she still has no answers. It was also the reason she has been avoiding Julius' eyes as much as possible, not wanting him to see her face.

The same also went for Yuna. After all, how "harsh" is defined is completely different from person to person. To some, it might have been a harsh punishment, but it might also be too lenient to others. It's just how the world works.

"Hmm... I don't think so. I'm sure you have your own reasons... Well, even if you didn't, I think it's normal for couples to ignore each other if they're mad at their partner or they're in a fight." [Yuna]

"I see... It's normal, huh... But Yuna, what if the couple themselves aren't normal? Would it still not be harsh?" [Amelia]

It was yet another deep question. After all, Julius and Amelia aren't just people of common standing. They are a prince and a duke's daughter, respectively. People whose worlds are completely different from the common folk.

They also weren't a couple who got together due to love. Before they were lovers, they were just children who were arranged in a political marriage. While it worked out fine for them, the same couldn't be said for others. One could say that they only became a couple by chance.

"You weren't truly mad with Julius, were you?" [Yuna]

"No, not at all... I just figured it was a good chance to make him reflect on his actions. After all, he'll be the next head of the Redlocke household. I'm afraid he won't be able to take the responsibility with his current character." [Amelia]

"Hm? But won't it be fine? After all, His Majesty is also more or less the same, but he's still able to manage his work... Umm... Somewhat properly... I'm sure it will be okay in the end, right...?" [Yuna]