Chapter 184: Dawn of Destruction (pt. II)

"Y-Your Highness...! A new report has come in!"

A loud declaration echoed loud and clear throughout the room as a ragged knight suddenly entered the room. All eyes were on him as his body trembled, holding onto the sides of the door frames, trying to catch his breath.

Speculations already started brewing inside the Lord's mind as soon as he heard the knight's words, but he tried to calm himself down. He clenched his fists tightly and realigned himself, his eyes glimmering a serious and composer glint.

"Speak." [Reisner]

"The monster flood is already spotted in Rusphalt's vicinity! One hour estimate before impact!"

It was a heavy report, one which greatly shook everyone present, leaving their mouths hanging wide open and their hands trembling in anxiety and frustration. But the one who was the most affected was the Lord himself.

'Sylvia...' [Reisner]

A single person appeared on his mind as soon as he heard the report. It was his lovely daughter who he treasures so dearly. He could feel his heart sink in the depths of darkness and despair as a cold chill swallowed his heart in its entirety.

It was a few days ago, when he told his daughter to send messengers towards the towns and cities in their territory, the latter volunteered to do it herself and make sure that everything is done perfectly. Accompanying her were another B-rank commander and a group of elite C-rank knights.

One might think that such a party is already a powerful force, and that is correct... By normal standards, that is. In front of a single A-ranker, they are all nothing but mere toys, not worthy of fighting. Don't even mention Calamity-Class, they'll be decimated before they have the chance to even fight.

He had always taught his children about "Noblesse Oblige" or the responsibility of the privileged. But in this situation, he couldn't help but wish that he didn't. He wished that even just this once, Sylvia would act selfishly and save herself.

"Your Highness, we await your orders..."

"... We shall proceed with the plan. Fortify the Kosalvier's defenses. Don't spare any resources and use the treasury if needed." [Reisner]

"But Your Highness... What about Rusphalt?"

To a commander's question, the Lord became silent. He tried to think of a solution but nothing came to mind. As he gritted his teeth and clenched his fist, only a heavy answer came out of his mouth.

"Form a rescue team and prepare a camp for the refugees. Make sure that it has everything they will need." [Reisner]

The end has already been judged. While the Lord made it sound more appealing, his statement couldn't be any graver for those who were present in the meeting. A dark and depressing atmosphere loomed over the whole room.

It would have been different if the Lord said "Reinforcements", but instead, he used the term "Rescue Team". It meant that they won't be able to send help whilst the town is under siege, only survey the place and look for survivors once everything is already done and over.

"Refugees"... It meant no difference with the word "Survivor". With it, it is basically confirmed that the town would be destroyed. The only ones they could help would be those who managed to survive if there is even any.

But even in such a situation, none of them could blame the Lord. Deep in their hearts, they knew that they could do nothing but wait and wish for a miracle to happen.

Rusphalt is a medium-sized town located roughly about 600 kilometers southwest of Kosalvier. Even if they hurry up and form reinforcements, Rusphalt would already be in flames and ruins the moment they arrive.