Doppelgänger

"We have a case in St. Lewis Missouri." Hotch states and I huff as I flop back down in the bed.

"Have fun." I mutter.

"I was thinking...if you promise to behave, you can join. As long as you promise to take it easy." He adds and I bolt upright.

"Really?" I ask excitedly.

"You have to promise to-." He starts saying and I hop out of bed and get dressed in the bathroom at lightning speed and walk out ready before he can even finish the sentence.

"What's the case?" I ask and he just chuckles.

"You're not back officially!" He reminds me and I nod.

"What's the case?" I repeat.

"A man's girlfriend, Emily Smith, was found tortured and killed in her home. All the evidence points to the boyfriend, Zach Warren." Hotch explains and I furrow my brows.

"If it was the boyfriend then why are we being called in?" I ask confused.

"Because the sister, Rebecca Warren, swears on her life that her brother, Zach, was with her when it happened." Hotch explains.

"So she's lying." I shrug as we get to the car.

"We looked into his background. There's nothing in his past that indicates this kind of aggression." Hotch shakes his head.

"People snap." I counter.

"Not like this." He says and hands me the file with the pictures.

The crime scene is messy and bloody. The girlfriend looks like she was beaten to death. I look at the background of the boyfriend and there's nothing to suggest that he's capable of this kind of brutality.

"The parents?" I ask about the boyfriend's family.

"Live in Paris for half the year. On their way home now." Hotch says and we get on the jet.

"What's she doing here?" Rossi asks as we board the jet.

"None of your business, old timer." I scoff and plop down on the couch and continue through the file.

"The boyfriend called the police?" I ask.

"Strange, huh?" Reid questions.

"Remorse?" Rossi questions.

"No. People who do this don't feel remorse." I counter.

"They have a video. Security tape across the street from the family home. It shows Mr. Wheeler arriving home at 10:30. The coroner puts Emily's death at at least 11." Derek speaks up.

"Maybe-." Reid starts saying.

"Don't tell me what that you think it's an evil twin?" Emily scoffs.

"It would make sense." JJ shrugs.

————

We land and Hotch has me go with him and JJ to the precinct. I figure I won't get a whole lot to do since I'm not officially on duty. Derek and Emily go to the crime scene while Rossi and Reid head down to the morgue.

"No sign of a break in." Derek says over the phone walking me through the scene.

"Look at this, a week before someone broke in and stole some of Zach's clothes." I tell Hotch, pointing to a break in report.