Piano Man

Ellison's POV:
I meet with Fred to talk with our lawyers and a different news source who says they have more dirt on Mitch. After they tell us they are going to run the story as is, without a quote from Fred, they hang up and Fred is pissed.

"I'm really fucking sick of you and sick of your shtick. Oh, I know you think you're a genius. I have chewed through seven different versions of guys like you in my career. So stop acting like you're the second coming of the Lord. The truth is, nobody likes you. Well, maybe your mother does, but I guess she didn't give enough attention to you, and...now we all have to suffer because of it." He growls and I just stare at him.

"Ow." I say sarcastically after he walks out.

It didn't hurt me, what hurt was sitting there in the same room with him without cussing him out or snapping his neck. The thought of what hems been doing behind my back to my assistant makes my blood boil.

I don't like many people, I'm out for myself and myself only, but Ira, I don't know. Something about her touches a soft spot in me that I forgot was even there. I feel protective of her, and knowing that I can't directly do anything to protect her from Fred kills me. But I will take him down, no matter what it takes.

Danika/Ira's POV:
Ellison forces me to come along with him to a party at Alex's place. There's a piano player taking tips to play certain songs that the guests want. They can even sing along to them on a microphone if they want. It's fucking hell.

"Don't worry, it won't be completely miserable." Ellison promises me and I roll my eyes.

"What happened to me being Yanko's assistant?" I ask.

"He's here too." He says and I huff.

Everyone looks like snobs as they drink from champagne glasses and talk about their vacation houses and yachts. The food is so small, a mouse wouldn't be able to survive off it. There's little black round tables with chairs around the piano, in what I presume to be the living room of the apartment.

Alex spots us and she fakes a smile and walks over and I go find myself a drink, knowing that I'm gonna need one, or fifty to get through this night.

"Hello Corey, so glad that you could come." I hear Alex say.

"Oh, Alex, if only you meant that. I know you only invited me for political reasons." Ellison scoffs and I finish my first drink, realizing this is going to be a long night.

"Oh. Well, true. But let's just pretend that maybe I didn't. It might be more fun." She admits and I start really realizing that no one actually likes Ellison, that he really is an asshole.

But he's not to me. He's always supportive and encouraging to me, even when I screw up. I can't even remember how many emails I forgot to let him know about, or told him about too late, I thought I would be fired, but no.

Thankfully Yanko finds me and stands next to me with a drink in his hand.

"What do you think about Ellison?" I ask and he furrows his brows.

"What do you mean?" He asks.

"I mean, do you think he's an asshole?" I ask and Yanko raises his brows.

"The guy is a world class jackass. Well, most of the time." He admits and I furrow my brows.

"But, he seems to be a good boss to you, so..."

"Yeah, he is." I admit.

"Why? What's wrong?" He asks.

"Nothing, I'm usually good at telling whether people are nice or not." I admit.