Phase 2

Ballard's POV:
"You're sure it's safe to go back to your apartment?" Olivia asks me as I start packing my things.

She's been helping me heal from what B613 did to me. The torture, the hole...it was a lot. It's even worse since it was Olivia's own father who ordered it.

"Rowan knows where I am. B613 always knows where I am. It doesn't matter where I go. I'm not the one who wants me to leave." I add.

"Jake."

"You're safer if I'm here."

"You and I both know I'm already being defended."

"By the President?" I counter and she goes quiet.

"Does he know your father's Command?" I ask and she goes over to the couch and sits down.

"No." She admits.

"So how can he defend you? How can he defend you if he doesn't know who your enemy is?" I question.

"My father wouldn't hurt me, not physically."

"He put me in a hole, which was bad. What was worse-every other day he had two guys haul me out of the hole, and he stood there and watched as they beat the crap out of me. They did things to me that you can't imagine. And then he had me bandages up, set the bones, stitched the cuts, gave me a shot of penicillin, because he wanted me alive and threw me back in the hole. That was just for fun." I explain and she has a shocked look on her face.

"Olivia, he would hurt you. Your father? He would slit your throat and drink your blood if it served the republic. And I think you know that. I think you have nightmares about that. So why are you pretending like you're daddy's little girl?" I shout and she gets up from the couch.

"I can't, I can't have you here. He can't know you're still here."

"Liv-."

"He made Huck kill, just like that. He flipped his switch and Huck is killing again. My father did that just so I'd know he could. He's in charge. He's in charge of everything."

"Which is why we have to stop him."

"No. I can't be involved! Whatever is going on, I don't want to be part of it. I don't want to know why he freed you. I don't want to see. I don't want to help. I need to go back to doing what worked. Eyes straight ahead, no looking around corners, no peeping in shadows, no asking questions, no stepping outside the lines."

"Liv-!" I shout.

"I've never heard of B613. I've never heard of you." She says and I gulp but understand where she's coming from.

I get my bag and leave with one question in my mind. Why did Rowan free me in the first place if it wasn't to keep Olivia safe.

Double N's POV:
I don't know how long I've been down in the hole, but it doesn't really matter to me. Rowan or Eli, or Command; expects me to break, but I'd have to actually care about something to do that. Plus, other people's minds and memories are plenty distracting and entertaining.

"Get her out." I hear him order after the light shines through the bars again.

I'm granted access to the exit and pull myself out and stand up while wiping my hands on my now worn and ripped pants.

"You wanted to see me?" I ask, feeling snarky.

"Phase two." Is all he says and I quirk a brow.

Before I can question him, a fist connects with my abdomen and I hunch over from the impact. I'm struck in the back, forcing me to fall to the ground. I start getting kicked and beaten while he stands over me, watching. After a few minutes the two agents step away, and I just spit out some of the blood from my mouth and chuckle.