Unexpected

Hotch's POV:
I wake up on Danika's couch and smile as I remember last night.

I groan realizing how much energy I used as I get up and walk into the kitchen to make myself some coffee. I pour myself a cup and look out the window. A few minutes later I walk into the bedroom and see that Danika's still sound asleep. I sit on the edge of the bed just looking at her and how peaceful she looks.

Last night was the first time I slept all the way through the night. Something about knowing she was nearby calmed my nerves. Ever since I lost Haley I kept having nightmares and waking up in the middle of the night. I only got an hour or two of sleep in because of it.

I go to brush a strand of hair out of Danika's face and my fingers touch her cheek. I furrow my brows when a cold sensation runs through my hand.

"Danika." I say and rub her back but I don't get a response.

"Danika!" I shout ripping the sheets off of her but she stays still.

I check for a pulse and my heart rate rises when I don't feel one. I get my phone out and call 911 as I start chest compressions and CPR.

The EMT arrives a few minutes later and we get a faint pulse.

"You found her like this?" He asks.

"I came in to check on her and-." I start saying not being able to finish the sentence.

"We have a faint pulse, we'll get her to the hospital and meet you down there." He says as they get her in the ambulance.

They take her away in the ambulance while I just stand there. My heart is racing and I pace back and forth trying to think of what could've happened.

————

I call the team and meet them at the hospital. Morgan is pacing back and forth while Prentiss is sitting down next to Garcia who can't seem to sit still. JJ looks worried and Reid looks like he's about to have a nervous breakdown.

"Was it the bullet wound?" Reid questions trying to figure out what could've caused this.

"I don't know." I say.

"The stab wound shouldn't have-."

"Reid, I said I don't know!" I snap and everyone looks at me shocked.

"What were you doing there anyway?" Dave asks.

"I brought her home. She said she didn't want to be there alone." Is all I answer with.

"She's gonna be alright. She has to be. She always makes it out of these things, right?" Garcia asks nervously.

A few minutes later a doctor walks out looking completely defeated and my heart sinks as I stand up.

"I'm sorry. We did everything we could." He apologizes and I feel my feet give away.

Dave catches me as I feel the tears streaming down my face. I look and see Morgan punch a wall and then start shaking his head in disbelief.

"No! You go in there and save her!" He shouts at the surgeon.

"Morgan-." Dave tries to calm him down.

"No! I don't accept that you did everything! She wouldn't-:" Morgan starts saying and looks around hopeless.

"No. She can't be." He shakes his head and I get up and embrace him and he starts shaking as he sobs.

"What happened?" Dave asks the doctor.

"You didn't know?" The doctor asks confused.

"Know what?" Prentiss asks.