Imposter

Gideon's POV:
My phone goes off so I turn off my movie and pick the phone up. I furrow my brows when I see who it is.

"What did she do?" I ask.

"That's how you answer the phone?" Hotch chuckles, which is quite refreshing to hear.

"You wouldn't be calling me at this time if it wasn't something dire. Plus, from what I know about you, dire usually has something to do with Danika. So, I ask again, what did she do and when do you need me there?" I ask, knowing that I'm right.

"One of her friends outside of work contacted me. They have reason to believe that she lost her memory and doesn't actually know who she is." He says and explains about how the friend knows about her mind magic.

"Has she been suspicious in any way in your eyes?" I ask, knowing he wouldn't be calling if he didn't think through this.

"Little things here and there, but...that's not the only thing." He admits.

"Well, I figured that much. Her losing her memory and using her gift to get it back isn't enough to warrant a call to me." I scoff as I get my shoes on.

"Her friend claims that she has no conscience." He states and I almost drop my phone.

"What do you mean she has no conscience?" I ask, seriously worried.

"I mean, I haven't seen it in person really, but...she went undercover on the news channel, The Morning Show. I'm guessing you saw how that ended." He says and I just stand there stunned.

"That was her? She's the one who outed the director?" I ask, completely shocked.

It's one thing when she goes off script and takes down one of the bad guys, but what I saw on tv was way more than that. A news anchor admitted to knowing about it all, live on air. They talked about how a girl who worked there was assaulted and she was promoted in order to keep her quiet, how the same girl overdosed the same day the truth came out. Getting all of that done while behind the scenes and staying out of the tabloids takes diabolical planning and no remorse for anyone who gets in the way or becomes collateral.

"Luckily for you I'm in town for a seminar. I'll be there shortly." I say and get my keys.

Danika's POV:
I watch as Maya Pope leaves the building and wait till she's around the corner out of sight. I go in and up the elevator and find Rowan on the ground in one of the offices, with a stab wound in his chest. I tilt my head at the irony of how close the wound is to his heart.

"Well, shit. Karma really does bite you in the ass. Or should I say, the heart, same thing for you though, right?" I scoff as I calmly walk over to him and he glares up at me.

"Don't worry, you'll live, this time." I say and he struggles to move as I get my new phone out and call for an ambulance.

"Why are you doing this?" He groans.

"Because...you are a much more worthy adversary than Jake. I'm not saying you're better Command, just more fun to screw around with." I smirk and then put the phone up to my ear.

"Please, someone help, I think someone was attacked at Pope and Associates!" I fake cry into the phone, using a different voice.

I hang up and smirk down at him and then leave the building. I walk away, tossing my phone in a gutter on the way to my car. I start driving off only to get a call on my actual phone, from Hotch. I roll my eyes as I answer it, knowing that I have no choice.

"I need you to come in." Hotch orders and I huff, wanting to be anywhere but there right now.

It's exhausting, pretending to be someone you're not and constantly trying to figure out if you've slipped up or not. I've definitely gotten the hang of it more, but it still drains me and there's only so much I can pretend to care about. I almost blew it on our last case with the kids.