Innocent?

My phone goes off and I put down the book I'm reading and pick it up. Fitz glances over at me with a curious expression but I don't say anything.

"What is it?" I ask, hearing Patrick's voice on the other end of the line.

"I thought you told me to let you know when I had Red John on the chopping block." He says and I sit up.

"I don't have him yet, but there's someone who knows someone, who knows him. I was wondering if you wanted to come help me exonerate him." He offers and I quirk a brow.

"I'm guessing this is off the books?" I question knowing he hasn't been officially cleared since the bomb.

"For now, yes." He admits, sounding as if I'll say no if it is.

"Great, see you tomorrow when I land." I say and hang up.

"What was that all about?" Fitz asks.

"I'm heading to California for a few days to help a friend." I say as I get up, ready to pack what I need.

"Great, I can arrive early." He says and I furrow my brows.

"What are you talking about?" I ask.

"I have a meeting with some officials next week. But I don't mind flying over a bit earlier." He shrugs.

"This is kind of a-."

"Danika, you're not going to win this argument that you're attempting to create." He tells me as he gets up.

"It's not like you can just drop in and say hi." I scoff.

"It'll be like a mini vacation, gets Mellie out of the house." He shrugs and I roll my eyes.

"Okay, but I can't be seen with you." I remind him.

"Don't worry, I'll have a driver drop you off at the airport, make it look like you used one of the other planes." He offers and I just shake my head.

"You just have to make everything so much more complicated, don't you?" I scoff.

"I wouldn't be the president of I didn't." He sneers.

————

I land in California and see Patrick waiting in the airport for me with a smile on his face.

"So, who we busting out?" I ask as he takes my bag for me.

"Jared Renfrew." He says and I quirk a brow.

"Interesting." I mutter and he seems surprised.

"You don't seem surprised." He admits.

"That case never did add up for me. Too tidy, too easy." I explain and he smirks.

"Did you hear, the President landed today?" He asks as he points to the tv and I see him getting off the jet that he made go around another trip after dropping me off.

"What do you think?" He asks.

"About the President?" I ask confused.

"About the case." He clarifies.

"Personally, I think it was the mother who set him up." I confess and he raises his eyebrows.

"So, we gonna go visit the family or what?" I ask and he chuckles and brings me to his car.

"Let's just hope traffic isn't a bitch." I mutter, knowing that it's going to be.