Comfort (Kanan Jarrus)

Prompt:
Astris Skywalker is the daughter of Anakin Skywalker, now known as Darth Vader. When she comes into contact with the Ghost fleet while Captain Rex is travelling by their side, she learns to cope with the truth.

Requested by AllisonTart

Part 1!

She/Her❥
•OC Insert

3rd POV
♡︎♡︎♡︎♡︎♡

Astris always knew something about her was different. She was stronger than other ladies in the Rebellion. She had abilities that no one else she knew had, which created a painful barrier of difference that she had to overcome.
Using these untrained abilities, Astris Skywalker decided to join up with the Rebellion and fight against the gruelling Empire to free the galaxy.
That was where she met the Ghost Squad. That was also where she met Kanan Jarrus and Captain Rex; both of them knowing her past better than she did.

The news that Captain Rex had given her made Astris feel faint. She felt as if her knees were made of bowling pins, and the Captain had launched a bowling ball right towards her, "This is a lot to take in."

Captain Rex had told Astris Skywalker the meaning of her last name, and how immensely it weighed... and what her father did... Who her father was...
Astris had always assumed her father was a nobody; someone immediately forgotten once their life was taken. She had no inkling her last name could be linked to a Jedi— the Chosen One at that. Captain Rex had fought in the Clone Wars with Astris' father.

"He was the best man I had ever met," Rex said while facing Kanan. The Jedi was flinching at the mention Anakin Skywalker... It's obvious that Kanan was still taking Skywalker's actions to heart, "He was led down the wrong path by the Chancellor. I don't blame him for what he's done. I blame Palpatine."

Kanan shook his head and glared at the Clone, "You're the only one who doesn't blame Vader. He had free will and he made his choices. He killed everyone I've ever known and loved from the Jedi Order. That blood is on his hands, not Palpatine's."

It broke Astris' heart to hear Kanan speak about such things. How was her father responsible for such evil? How did Anakin murder the people he once considered family just because his role model told him to? Astris chose to not think about it too far, because if Vader could commit such atrocities, who's to say she couldn't follow in his footsteps and become the next Sith? The only thing making Astris feel better is the fact that she has no Jedi training, so as of now, she couldn't be moulded into a Sith,

"I can't believe my father is responsible for such bloodshed," she whispered while sliding down the wall and into a sitting position, "I always assumed that he was a spice pilot or some kind of farmer on a far away planet... I was always told he was dead. I'm so sorry on behalf of my father for what he's done."

Kanan's face softened after hearing that. Astris could still sense his anger towards Anakin Skywalker, but it was muted now. There was a heightened concern for Astris at this point. Kanan sat down beside her and sighed, "What your father did is not for you to apologize for. He made his choices and made his mistakes. You shouldn't have to suffer for it."

"You shouldn't have to suffer for one man's decisions either, Kanan," Astris snapped back, "He did a terrible thing, and I acknowledge this. I am not an apologist for my father, and I want him to stand trial for everything he's done— but especially considering the eradication of the Jedi Order. I consider myself very lucky I wasn't born to be trained in the Order by this point, because I don't have to live with the sheer pain of losing everything as you have to, Kanan. Every Jedi that survived that day has to live in grief, and that's unforgivable."