Chapter 38: Karna accepts Supriya!!

Story Unfolds :

At a royal Bedroom chamber of Anga:

One man around 24 was seen sitting upright. His face was stony yet proud. He felt overwhelmed yet defeated. He was thinking deep in his mind about his first failure of life. The news of the death of Charusheel had made him skeptical. Whether he was right in his judgement or not?!!! He could not tell that now!! It was true that Charusheel had conspired against the state but he was dubious whether he was duped or provoked to do so. The old mother of the ex-Mayor had hinted so. Now let me introduce him to you all. He was none other than the hero of our story Karna himself who was seen too engrossed in his royal duties. Even at the night time.

      Anga Raj Karna (In thought)

Charusheel's proud voice rang in his eardrum repeatedly -

"Maine toh keval apna Pati dharma nibhaya hain. (I just perform my duty as a husband.)"

He sighed hard. What is the duty of a husband?!! To go with the flow and to lower his head to every unjust claim of his wife?!! To admit his guilt and beg for her mercy?!! To go near her if she forgot to call for you?!! Be rigid to her?!! Or to accept her and love her unconditionally?!! He did not know!!!
Charusheel had a wrong idea of the duty of husband. He followed the plan of Devi Sulochana so blindly that he lost his own identity!!! He tried hard to satisfy her unjust demands!! And ultimately what he had to do?!! He had to commit suicide!!! He had to give away his young life for a stony, indifferent and emotionless woman who used him!!! What a waste of his life!! He had so much potentiality!!! He was a good administrator!!! Why love was so powerful that could even make the most powerful man in a few minutes powerless?!! Even he himself felt helpless in front of his wives!! He did not comprehend them a bit!!! His first wife, his mate of childhood, his Sakhi of teenage years, his first love of youth was becoming more and more distant from him nowadays!! They had both dreamt together about a family!!! But she was behaving as if only she lost her baby, not him!! The thought pained his heart!! How could she be so aloof of him!!! Just how!! For her he just remained as a friend, not as a husband to whom she could open up with ease!! And that Kalinga girl Supriya!!! She was herself an enigma to him!!! Her devotion towards him was praiseworthy but she was just like a teenager!!! Following him like a shadow everywhere!!! At river side. At garden. At Royal Court. At archery arena. At terrace. Even outside his room. But she did not say anything to him!!! As if she was deaf and dumb!! But she was certainly not that fool!! He felt uncomfortable. In her own presence. When he prayed to the Sun God and she peeped through the teak tree, He felt uneasy. When he played with Vrish and she smiled in her own mind, he felt restless. When he had practiced in the archery arena and she passed through the area for at least twenty times, his concentration broke and aims got missed. He had became furious on himself. When he entered the Royal Court and sat on the throne, she peeped from the open door front. From the are allotted to the masses. Her smiling eyes made a hole in his heart. He felt overwhelmed yet unable to understand the feeling. He became frustrated. He became too angry. Upon himself. God knew why he was?!!