104 {let's get some shoes}

what is your favorite chapter of this book thus far??? just out of curiosity.

my favorite is probably the laundry lovers one bc OSHDHDJD IT'S SO CUTE PUNCH ME
-----
We're firm believers in breaking gender roles.

Thus it was completely normal for us to try on women's shoes in an empty shoe store.

"You need new sneakers, those ones you wear on tour are so worn out."

"No they aren't," You protest, sitting on one of those little seats shoe stores have for people trying on shoes.

"They have holes in them, Cal."

"So? You have holes in you but I-"

"Shut the fuck up. We're getting you new shoes."

"Fine," You huff.

After searching, we get you some new Vans, and a nice pair of Converse.

"Good, now to check-hey...there's no one here?" I say, standing on my tiptoes.

"Huh, weird."

I drop the shoeboxes. "Can we go try on heels?!"

"What? Sure...why? What are we-"

I squeal, and dash to the women's section. You pick up the shoeboxes, hurrying after me.

"Why are you so excited about this?"

"I've been wanting to do this since FOREVER." I grab a pair of pumps, and steady myself by putting a hand on your shoulder.

"Luke, you don't need any extra height, I'm just barely taller than-oh. Damn."

"My legs look AMAZING! Yes, yes!" I'm so completely thrilled.

"They do. You look fantstic, babe. Do you want them?"

I almost get choked up. "Do I...can I?"

You stare at me weirdly. "Of course. Why would I not get them for you? You want them so badly, obviously, and they make you happy."

"I know, but you know my childhood..."

"Hey, it's all in the past," You say, looking straight into my eyes. We hear a jingle, and you smile at the sight of a worker. "I'm gonna get these for you, don't you worry princess."

I slip the pumps off and put them in a box. "Thank you, Calum. I love you, I do so much."

"I love you too. I'll be ba-"

"No, I...I mean it. I really, really love you."

"I know, there's no doubt in my mind about that." And you kiss my softly, warmly, before pulling away to check out.

As a kid, my mother once caught me attempting to dress up as a girl, and from then on forced all these boyish things onto me.

But that's just not who I am. I am a feminine person. I am a male. I am tall, blonde, and blue-eyed. I am lanky and only slightly muscular. I am me.

But those things don't truly define me. Appearance doesn't define anyone. I am in love with you. I am yours. I am nerdy, and I like to play guitar. I like to laugh, giggle, and snort. I like the taste of champagne, but only when it's on your lips. I like photographs of you and I. I like happy memories, and the color brown, because it's warm and reminds me of your eyes.

Those things make me, me. And no matter what anyone thinks about the lipstick, perfume, or anything 'girly', it doesn't matter.

Because people are more than appearances, everyone has something deeper behind the mask.

And you helped me realize that, with a simple pair of shoes.
-----
A GOOD LESSON-Y CHAPTER ABOUT GENDER AND PEOPLE AND APPEARANCES DON'T FUCKING MATTER YA SHITHEAD

also the chapter title was inspired by the video above its brilliant go watch it esp if you like the Wizard of Oz or good voices