Chapter 65: Remembrance

The song is: All This and Heaven Too

By Florence and the machine
——————————————————————

Shota woke up to Tsukiko meowing at him, it wasn't 3:00am but still it was early. (This happened right after Akemi left the campus)

Clearly Tsukiko wanted him awake. He sighed softly before sitting up and realizing he didn't hear Emiko's adorable babbling or Akemi's melodious humming from the nursery. Maybe they were out for a morning walk since Akemi has been adamant about getting back in shape.

He sighed heavily again over the date on the clock. That's right...it was today.

He stood up with a pop of his back and groaned as he made his way towards the shower. After his shower he dressed into casual clothing and walked towards the nightstand to grab his wedding ring and the necklace it hung upon. He placed it around his neck and hid it within his shirt. He turned towards the door only to stop and look down at the folded note on his wife's nightstand.

He read it and his eyes dimmed in sadness...she had forgotten what today is.

He was happy she was spending time with Ryuko but...he...

He put the note down and blinked back a few tears. She was his anchor, his pillar of support for today of all days. He's not keen on showing his emotions or even admit that he is anything remotely of an expert at professing his emotions but today...well today is a different story he's an emotional wreck.

He grabbed a sweatshirt to take along as he sighed heavily with a shaky breath and left for the cemetery without a single conversation towards the three other teachers. The students were not awake yet. Toshinori was about to ask what was bothering him but Hizashi stopped Toshinori from speaking with a hand outstretched to block the other man from taking a step.

"Not Today Mighty Listener..." The door closed with a bang and Hizashi's eyes dimmed underneath his normal glasses when he saw Shota's hurt expression staring at the ground before the door closed.

He whispered as softly as he could towards Toshinori

He whispered as softly as he could towards Toshinori. "Trust Me, He's Not In A Good Place Right Now..."

"Why's that?"

"Today Is A Day Of Remembrance For Him..."

It finally clicked within Toshinori's mind and his eyes widened. He gasped and ended up coughing up blood into a napkin. "Oh jeez! I didn't realize what today was! It's the day that..."

"Not Only That...It's...It Was Also Their Anniversary Day As Well."

Hizashi's voice went the lowest it's gone in a while. "He celebrates that in front of their graves every year to remember them in life and to mourn for them when he can't do so in the public eyes of the young listeners."