Chapter 98: Making Amends

Warning ⚠️ Mature Content!
——————————————————————

Shota slowly walked up the white stone pathway towards the mountainside home belonging to his in-laws. He didn't know what to expect from them. He could hear Manami playing the piano and he sighed heavily and knocked on the door.

He hasn't been this nervous about facing his in-laws since asking them to become his in-laws! Nobuyuki saw him walking slowly towards the door three seconds ago and waited a whole minute counting the amount of time the man spent just sitting in his car staring at the home before then resting his forehead against the steering wheel with his eyes closed in tears. Nobuyuki sighed.

He knew the man was hurting but that man also hurt his baby girls heart!

Nobuyuki opened the door with a firm expression right as Shota was about to knock on the door. "Shota...you look like a mess more so than usual."

Shota cringed over the man's tone and mentally cursed for not checking his appearance before knocking on the door as he avoided eye contact. "I know that. Is...is Akemi here?"

Nobuyuki wasn't budging from his angry father glare. "She is. Wether she wants to see you right now is debatable boy."

"I know you're angry with me you have every right to be as her parents, but please can I see her..." Shota looked and pleaded with guilt in his voice and tears threatening to fall from his eyes. "please I need to see my wife."

Nobuyuki finally relented and sighed softly as he pulled the broken man into a hug. "She's hurting and so are you. You've suffered enough, she's in the garden. But Shota take heed that she might not be in the mood to see you right now. Your welcome to stay in the guest house but..."

Shota smirked softly. "I know, Akemi's room off limits," he chuckled softly over the memories of his youth. "It's like I'm seventeen all over again."

"I still have my gun collection in the display case boy. Remember that."

"And there's the shooting threat." He shook his head fondly and then looked up at his mentor and father-in-law and smiled. "Thank you."

He entered and nodded towards Manami. Nobuyuki spoke.

"Shota don't you think you should change your appearance you...and he's gone."

He sighed softly as Shota headed to the garden and Manami smiled in sympathy as she continued playing the piano.

Shota walked out the screen door towards the garden he sighed softly and saw his beloved wife sitting in the middle of the tranquil Japanese garden underneath the pagoda within a island in the middle of the koi pond.

She was wearing a traditional Japanese kimono that hid her back and shoulders underneath the heavy fabric and he knew underneath that kimono was the scars Shinku Ken had left behind as a testament of how close he came to losing her.

Akemi was playing her Shakuhachi bamboo flute in tune to her mothers piano. The small waterfall and tranquil stream that flowed underneath the smaller guesthouse farther up the path added to the beautiful gardens ascetics but the song was a sad song, a song of sorrow and lonely solitude.

Akemi was crying softly as she listened to her mother's long solo before joining in with her flute as she calmed her emotions enough to finish the song.

Shota bowed his head in shame that he was what drove her away. He had no right to ask her to come back to him, not after he walked out on her and left her alone in a hospital room to drown in her tears! Not after she fought for him to be freed from his own demons.