Christmas Special

The snow nipped at my fingertips as I trudged on. It was practically a blizzard out. My tears from earlier were still leaking every so often making the cold sting my face even more. I was supposed to spend christmas with my best friend but we had a falling out. I gripped the small gift in my hand angrily but it was hard to hold my anger through all my shivering. No hat or gloves. Just my damn coat.

The sun went down early as usual and the streets seemed eerily quiet. It was only 9 pm but no one was out. I was alone in the cold not even a taxi to take me home. My phone was dead and it appears I'm lost. Only the street lights to keep me company and light my path.

I sniffled again trying to hold back my tears. My toe smacked something in the snow causing me to topple over into the snow. Now officially cold wet, and covered in snow; this night couldn't possibly get worse.

A gloved hand suddenly appeared infront of me, "Hey kid, whatcha doing out here so late?"

I peered up to see the number two hero Hawks. My ex beastie would be so jealous right now.  She should kill for an autograph, "Sorry, I'm on my way home"

He helped me back to my feet with ease and a carefree smile, "Wanna lift? Where do you live?"

I told him my address and his smile faltered, "Im sorry, if it's an issue I can walk"

"No no, that's just pretty far. Its really cold, why don't you come back to my place for the night?"

"I-i wouldn't want to disturb your Christmas"

"You wouldn't be. I'd enjoy your company actually" he smiled again

I was shivering even more now. I really didn't wanna walk anymore and he is a hero, "Well, if you really don't mind, then thank you"

His arm hooked under my knees sweeping me up, "Excuse me" we took to the skys in an instant.

I shut my eyes tight but relaxed slowly. Finally peeking an eye open I could see the beautiful lights of the city. The decorated buildings flashed and twinkled beautiful colors. The sight was breath taking.

"Pretty isn't it? I always love this time of year" Hawks commented

"Yeah" I breath. I tore my eyes from the city only to meet eyes with Hawks.

He looked away first clearing his throat, "We are almost there"

Only a few minutes passed before we came to a balcony. Hawks set me down before fishing out a key from his pocket and heading in.

I took the extra time to look around. The place was bare, no decorations. Not even normal decor that you'd have throughout the year.

"You said you like the holiday season yet have no decor yourself"

"I don't have the time I guess. If you want to warm up I have a guest bath down the hall there, first door to the right" he motioned while shrugging off his jacket

"Thank you"

"Towels are in there and...oh, one sec" he hurried down the hall. He reappeared a few moments later with some clothes, "Just some sweats and that jacket should hopefully fit. Sorry about the holes in the back though"

"Its fine, thank you so much"

I scurried to warm up with a shower. It gave me time to think. Tonight really was turning around. As I got dressed in the fresh clothes I felt a bit odd. For the first time I could smell his scent on the clothes. I sniffed them curiously. Its not that they amended bad, just the opposite really, but it felt odd. I hung my old clothes to dry but stopped at my jacket pulling out the small box. I set it on the counter ploping my coat to hang dry.