Care taker

Reader's POV

I rush into the building trying to catch my breath. I recently got a government job. It's on-call part-time but amazing pay. If I can rock this and my other job I will be working 2 jobs without stress. Plus the benefits package makes me want to weep tears of joy.

I check the room number I received hunting for it. Finally I stumble across it. I am to receive instructions on site. It can't be that sketchy if its for the government...right? I knock on the door. The door opens wide to reveal the #2 hero Hawks with a look of confusion.

"Who are you and why are you here?" He looked tired and annoyed.

I scramble through my bag pulling out the badge I got from my employer, "I was told I would be instructed on site, which is this apartment", I hand him the address.

He sighed running a hand through his hair, "fine, come in. Seems they got rid of my last preener..." he invited me in closing the door behind me.

"Preener?"

"Yes, I need someone to preen my feathers as they come in" he motioned to his nearly barren wings, "I burned all my feathers in my last fight. They will be back in 2 days but till then I can't do much" he walked to a kitchen island finishing off a jug of milk.

"Why can't you preen them?"

"The back is hard to get too. It's much easier to have someone else do it" he tossed away the carton.

"So just preen for an hour tomorrow and head out?"

"No, stay here 2 days and preen as they come in. Pin feathers hurt and are annoying so I don't like to move much and I don't want to deal with them for hours" he pulls a spray bottle out of a cabinet, "my pin feathers are already starting to grow", he motioned to small odd vein-like feathers, "once they fully develop they may have sheaths stuck around them. I need you to very gently take those off. Use this water to keep grime off of them as they develop and help loosen them" he shoved the bottle into my hands

"This seems...odd"

"Hey, you took this job. Trust me, id much rather someone else do this. Once you help me initially I can preen myself"

"Do you have a problem with me?" I cross my arms.

"Not you personally, just don't feel the most comfortable having a...woman preen me..."

"Why? It's just feathers?"

"They are sensitive ok! Get off my fucking beak about it"

"Do you want me to preen you or not?"

"Fucking yes. I'm gonna go shower and we can start this process" he stood grabbing a towel to shower.

The room was very open with a kitchen and island next to the living area with a couch and TV. On the other side was a small hallway. Soon enough he came back out. With a towel around his waist. I try to relax keeping a professional air about this.

"See this feathers taper, how it's not in the skin? I just need you to Crack that outer shell for me" he pointed to an example.

I nodded and started the process slowly. I pulled at one gently that wasn't releasing easily.

"Damnit that hurt!" He glared back at me.

"Oh don't be a baby, I barely tugged it"

He grumbled something turning back.

"I got everything that was able to be preened" I toss the skin flake like shells into the trash.

He left to change as i sat back on the couch. I decide to reach for my snacks out of my bag. Nothing fancy just a bag of chips. Hawks came back in dressed in street clothes.