Seasonal Rut

(Like mating season. I just wanted to write a new version)

I smile walking down the hallway, the smell of chicken following me as I held the fresh hot meal.

Working as a secretary was one thing, but taking care of the boss was a whole other. He was stubborn and generally annoying but he didn't take care of himself so it was my job to clear his schedule and monitor his health.

I knocked on his office door before coming in. Hawks was laying his head on his desk scribbling his signature onto a paper beside him. He perked up from what I guess was the smell.

"Chicken?"

"Yup" I hold the bag up before setting it on coffee table.

He stood up coming over to the table. I watched him dig in his pocket before pulling out a shiny rock handing out to me.

This has become the usual. I pop it into the little vase on the table and he starts to eat.

He seems to like it. I try to keep him happy, happy hero happy city. I've noticed little things in his behavior. If I encourage it in small ways he remains happy. This rock thing started a week or so ago and he seemed so satisfied every time he gave me one.

The first one honestly confused the hell out of me and I nearly threw it away until I saw his hurt look. Since then I just keep putting them in the vase and he seems happy.

It upsets me how he isn't in touch with his own emotions. He can read people like a book but there are times when I have to tell him it's OK to be sad or upset. He has slowly started showing emotion around me more and vocalizing his current mood.

"Hey kid, what's with the salad?"

"You can't just eat chicken. I thought it would help balance your diet"

He grimaced at it, "That's just rabbit food. Go give it to Mirko" he pushed the salad away digging through the bag, "Come on kid... please tell me you didn't just get me a few chicken strip and a damn salad?"

"You should eat better. You eat a lot of instant meals and fried food"

"But I want Yakitori" he groaned dramatically

"Eat and I'll bring you some later"

"Fine" he rolled his eyes, "... can you send Toyami in here?"

"If you send that kid to buy you Yakitori I am going to throw you out that window and stop bringing you chicken for lunch at all"

He pouted but cracked open the salad eating it, "at least there is little bits of chicken" he forked through the salad

I was about to leave when he spoke up again, "have you eaten?"

"No, I was about to"

"Wanna eat with me?"

I shrugged nodding. He was casual. We haven't eaten lunch together before. Usually I hand over the food, he takes a look and makes a few comments and I leave.

I grab my food from my desk coming back in to join him on the couch to eat.

"How can you eat a meal with no chicken" he looked at my food offendedly

"I've got the food groups. I figure that's good enough"

"Come on kid" he smiled cutting off a bit of one of his strips impaling it on his fork, "Say ah"

I roll my eyes and take the fork from him biting off the bit of chicken followed by instant regret as I passed the fork back.

My mouth was on FIRE. I swallow the chicken but let my tongue roll out of my mouth while I sucked in a breathe.