Broken Birdy

It was the middle of the night when I hear the familiar tapping on the balcony door. I shut off the TV and open it already having expected him. I saw what had happened on the news.

My relationship with Hawks was undefined. We hardly spoke... well he hardly spoke.

It all started one night after a bad villain attack. I was watching TV when I heard a harsh thud against my balcony door.

I opened it terrified of what it could possibly be only to find the pro hero an utter heap on the ground. I dragged him inside and got him some food, bandaged his wounds, and took a cloth to his face to get rid of the muck and debris.

Since then he just keeps coming back. It's been going on for about a year now. I used to have no idea when he'd show. Now I watch the news and usually after a bad fight or if he's gotten too busy or beat he will show back up at my door.

Its been a month since I last seen him. He was a wreck as usual. His wings looked pretty bad, I'm surprised he even made it up here. I gently lead him inside helping him get his boots off.

He pulled me into a loose hug seeming to relax.

"Hawks you're covered in mud. Let's get you washed up ok?"

He only nodded letting me lead him to the bathroom. I helped him out of his clothes so he was just in his boxers. He knew the routine laying his head back on the edge of the tub so I could wash his hair before cleaning him off with a rag.

He had a gash on his side that should be cleaned. Once he was mostly clean I motion to his gash.

"We should disinfect that birdy. Don't want it to get infected"

He only nodded. Once I finish he just sits on the floor giving his usual soft look as if all he wants in life is a warm hug. I run a towel through his hair to mostly dry it. I pull out a set of sweat pants and a shirt I grabbed the other day nervously.

"I have these if you want to wear them while you're here. I figure it's more comfortable then changing back into your compression suit" I run my thumb over the clothing awkwardly.

He looked up at me with big eyes before nodding and taking them putting them on. Finally I lead him back to the couch to sit.

"Can I toss your other clothes in the wash? It will at least get the mud off them"

"On delicates. Please" his voice was weak, barely a whisper

I tossed his clothes in and made some food. Just some chicken and rice handing it to him. He ate it as usual while I cleaned up from cooking.

I was about to turn to the fridge when strong arms wrapped around me weakly.

"You ok birdy?"

He nodded lightly. I turned in his hold to face him and he buried his face in the crook of my neck slowly relaxing.

I rub his shoulder lightly, "Want me to preen your wings again?"

He nodded again. Its funny seeing him so talkative in interviews yet here he is barely saying a word.

I lead us back to the couch and preen his wings keeping an eye on him. He isn't the most expressive but I know it hurts cause he will wince. He didn't have many feathers to preen this time. His wings look pretty scarce.

I never know what to call him. I only know his hero name but it feels awkward saying it. Calling him birdy seems like a healthy middle ground. He seemed to like it. At least he didn't argue on it.

He seemed so fragile every time he came over. He was always a mess, blood in his hair, covered in scratches and sometimes roadrash. He had a distant look in his eye as well.