074

LAKE FULL OF WALKERS-074

Leaning against the wall of the truck, Matilda watched as her father and Aaron woke up. The trio was on a supply run for Negan, trying to find anything they could.

She had demanded to come with them, which led to an argument between her, her brothers, and her father. It took a lot of convincing but the boys had caved in and agreed.

"What time is it?" Aaron asked as he sat up.

Her father checked his watch. "Just past five-thirty. Let's go."

Matilda climbed to her feet, putting the gun she had hidden under the floorboards in her bedroom, and put it in her waistline as Aaron opened the back of the truck door.

"Didn't see that last night." The man said, pointing towards a fence with a sign on it.

The trio jumped out of the truck, walked towards the fence, and read the sign.

Keep going, only thing here 4 you is trouble

"We have today and only today to find something." Her father said. "They could be back by tomorrow. Could be back now."

Aaron and Matilda shared a look before they all climbed over the fence and hurried down the path. Further down, they had gotten to a large sign with writing.

"This guy—he's armed," Matilda said as she read the sign. "Has food, supplies, ammo."

"The only way that you have possibly read this far without being shot is that I am dead." Aaron read out loud.

The three walked further into the area, stopping when they saw a large lake. Matilda's widen slightly as she watched dozens of walkers floating in the body of water.

"Looks like he protected his supplies," Aaron commented.

Rick nodded. "Look likes they're still protected."

Matilda looked between her father and Aaron. "Today and only today, right?"

"Yeah." Her father nodded as he and Aaron walked forwards.

Tilly headed towards the metal boat that sat on the bank of the lake, dozens of bullet holes in the sides of it. She knew that this plan wasn't going to work, the boat with sink even before they reach the building.

"All these bullet holes, this'll take on water quick." Her father said as they looked at the walker-infested water. "We can probably make it to the canoe."

"Probably," Aaron muttered.

"Or the boat will sink before we ever get to it and with the walkers in the lake, they will factor as a problem too. They could drag the boat under with us in it," Matilda explained as her father pushed the front of the boat into the water.

Aaron walked over to the sign, kicked two of the boards out, and handed one to Rick. Her father turned to look at her, opening his mouth before closing it as she climbed into the boat.

"Matilda, I think you should--" Her father started but stopped when he received a glare.

"If you tell me to stay back, I will throw you into this infested water." Tilly threatened as she snatched the board out of his hands.

"But--"

"Get in the boat."

The men climbed into the boat with Aaron pushing his foot off the side of the water bank, sending the boat forwards. Matilda and Aaron started paddling with the broads as they maneuvered the boat away from the walkers.

When they were halfway near the canoe, water started pouring through the holes at a rapid rate. Matilda and Aaron started to paddle faster as a few of the walkers grabbed the side of the boat.

The woman gave her father the board as she pulled out the gun from her waistline. She fired it at the walkers that were trying to grab at them as Aaron and Rick stabbed some in the head with their boards.

"We're almost there," Her father said, as he and Aaron started rowing again.

At the canoe, Aaron reached out, grabbed the thing, and pulled it towards them when a walker popped up. The man backed up as Matilda shot the creature before he was grabbed from behind and dragged underwater.

"Aaron!" Matilda shouted as she and her father climbed into the canoe.

The father and daughter looked around at the water, waiting for the man to surface as Rick yelled for him. When Aaron did surface, Matilda let out a sigh of relief.

"I'm okay. I'm alright," Aaron said as he swam towards the building.

Climbing up the latter that leads to the building, the trio collapsed on the deck, breathing heavily. Matilda climbed to her feet, a hand using the wall as support as she looked through the window of the place.

"Dad, Aaron, look,"

She pointed toward the canned goods that were piled against the wall inside the room. Her father pried the door open before the three of them slide inside. As they were sorting through the supply, Aaron opens a box that sat on the table.

Congrats for winning, but you still lose!!!

He holds up the sign with a chuckle. "Bit of a sore loser."

"Huh, looks like the only thing he ran out of was ammo," Rick said, holding a rifle. "We got to get this back now."

"He's got paddles and with the wind picking up, it shouldn't take long to drift back to shore," Aaron said.

When the houseboat hit the shore, the trio started to unload all the supplies into their truck. Matilda was about to pick up a box when her father grabbed it making her look at him.

"I can do it, you know," She said, following him.

Rick gave the box to Aaron who was standing in the truck before looking at his daughter. "I know you can, but take it easy on some things."

"I'm pregnant, not crippled." Matilda scoffed as she went to pick up another box. "I want to do things while I still can. Help our group beat this fucker, get supply for him so he backs off."

"I know, but--"

"I want to help--I'm going to help until I get my husband and the father of my child back. If that means I've got to bow down to Negan, to risk my life and my baby's to get my son's father back and to keep this group safe, then so be it. I will do anything in my power to do that and none of you can stop me,"

With that, Matilda picked up the box, walked past her father, and handed it to Aaron who looked at her with admiration.

Sending a smile at the man, Tilly didn't spare a glance at her father before walking toward the front of the truck and climbed in.