103

PEER PRESSURE-103

PEER PRESSURE-103

After eating dinner, Max was on a search for Henry, he promised Carol that he would look out for her boy and keep him out of trouble. He asked a few of the people of Hilltop if they had seen his best friend when someone called out his name.

"Hey, Max!" The familiar voice of Addy called. He turned, looking up at her and her friends' little hang-out area. "You wanna hang out?"

Max wanted nothing to do with being friends with them. It's not that he doesn't like them, he doesn't like socializing with people—other than his family. His eyes met Henry's, who gave him a pleading look.

He remembered his promise to his aunt and sighed as he walked over to the ladder, climbed it, and stood there awkwardly.

"So," Gage started, looking at Henry. "We've been watching you mope around down there. Addy here's seriously worried about you."

"I never said—are you alright?" Addy asked the boy.

Henry nodded. "Yeah. I'm just, uh, new place. Getting used to everything. You know."

"I don't actually. I've lived here more than half my life." Gage replied.

"Same here. How's that for sad?" Addy adds. "At least you get to go someplace new."

"Have you ever been to Oceanside?" Rodney asked. "Is it really all women?" Max grimaced slightly as Henry nodded and the other teen chuckled. "Damn. I should become a fisherman."

Gage leaned forwards slightly. "You should hang out with us tonight. Yeah, we've got a place in the woods. We could show you what passes for fun around here."

"Out in the woods? Don't they shut the gates down at sundown?" Henry questioned, glancing at his best friend.

Gage scoffs. "You're telling me you've never snuck out of Kingdom? Maxie boy here does it all the time. Dude, c'mon, look, whatever's got you down, it's not worth it, alright? You just got to keep moving forward. Life's too short."

Max clapped, gaining his best friend's attention. "I don't think that's a good idea, Henry."

"Why not? This could be fun, Max." Henry signed, causing confused looks from the other teens.

"You could lose your apprenticeship with Earl and your mom will be upset with you."

Henry gave Max a pleading look. "Max, maybe it's time to be a teenager for once. Please. You can come and make sure I don't do anything remotely stupid."