143

BROTHER AND SISTER-143

COUPLE OF WEEKS LATER

Cassie stood in front of the mirror in their new apartment her father had bought for them, she watched as Aunt Carol fixed her hair with a purple hair bland. She wore her new clothes with her aunt had bought her, a dark purple cardigan, a lavender blouse and a new pair of jeans. Her feet were covered by the uncomfortable black flats that had already gave her blisters.

The school has a no boots or sneakers rule, which she thought was utterly ridiculous. She ever wore shoes like this before, only her tatty old boots that her big brother had found. But she had to admit that she looked decent in her new clothes, not going as far as aunt Carol who said she looked pretty.

"Okay, stop pouting. It's only for a few hours." Aunt Carol says, brushing her hair.

"Do I have to wear these shoes? My feet hurt and they gave me blisters." Cassie complained, shifting on her feet.

"If you want to wear Mary Janes like Jude or a mule, then I suggest you stick with the flats." Carol replied as she went over to Carl who was sitting at the table with RJ and Jude.

Cassie frowned, following her aunt. "What's a mule?"

"A shoe without a back. Shows your heel of your feet." The woman explained as she fixed Carl's rat-nest of curls.

Cassidy and Judith looked at each other and shivered at the thought. Cassie filled her bowl of cereal with milk. "No thanks. I'll stick with the flats."

Carol chuckled as she poured a bowl of cereal for Carl who eat it happily. "I'll have you bandaids to put on your heels. That will up with the pain and not making the blisters worse."

"Thanks, aunt Carol." The eight year old said with food in her mouth.

The woman shook her head at her niece before letting the kids eat their breakfast. Once they were done, she ushered them to get their backpacks and head out the door. It was raining as they walked to the school and once there, her, Carl, RJ, and Jude said goodbye to Carol before waking  into the school.

Judith took RJ by the hand, saying a goodbye to her sister and baby brother and walked Jay to his class. The classes were combined, for example, Cassie is in fourth grade like RJ so their class is mixed with fifth grade. Judith is in seventh grade and her class is mixed with eighth graders. Carl is in kindergarten and shared with first grade.

As Cassie and Carl walked hand in hand to the kindergarten classroom, she spotted Harry down the hallway talking with a couple of his friends. She felt her heart speed up when he saw her, said something to his friends before walking towards her and Carl.