021

BLOOD IS THICKER THAN WATER-021

Yelling and explosion was all Matilda after the boy in the vent left. She tried to pull out her hand from the cuff, grunting in pain when the metal dug into her wrist.

Letting out a gasp as she popped her thumb out of it's socket and pulled out her hand. The cuff clanged against the bed, while Tilly put her thumb back into it's socket.

Matilda got to her feet, limping over to the abandoned knife on the floor. It was stained with her blood. She limped over to the door, grabbing the handle and pulled.

Nothing.

A clanging of the vent caused Matilda to turn around, holding out her knife. The boy in the vent was back and he was sighing something with his hands.

"It's not going to open." The boy signed.

"What do you mean?" She sighed back, knowing sign language.

"It's locked from the outside."

Matilda lower her knife, furrowing her brows. "How do I get out there? I need to leave."

The boy nodded into the vent before sighing. "This way. I can show you."

The dark haired girl didn't waste anytime following the boy into the vent. Thank god she wasn't claustrophobic because she wound have definitely freaked out.

Following after the boy through the ventilation system, they came to a stop. The boy moved the vent cover, crawling out and into an alleyway.

The boy pointed towards the woods across the street. The pair sprinted across the street, Matilda ignoring the shooting pain in her legs.

A man's voice yelled out for them making the pair ran even faster towards the fence. The boy hastily pulled back a piece of the fence, letting Matilda through first before slipping out himself.

Running into the woods, Matilda and the boy heard loud footsteps chasing after them. She looked back to see three large men a few feet behind them, hands loaded with guns.

Matilda weaved through the trees, dodging incoming walkers and leaping over tree roots.

Suddenly the boy fell making her grab his arms, pulling him up. She lifted the boy into her arms, his arms wrapped around her waist as she took off again.

The dark haired girl came to a sudden stop, her head whipped side to side, looking for a place to hide. Matilda saw a little creek to her left making her ran towards, sliding down the slop and pushed herself against it trying to blend into earth.