132

A WORK OF ART-132

A WORK OF ART-132

The walk back to Alexandria was tense between the girls and Daryl. After Cassie had gone inside the house, her aunt and dad had some kind of argument. She was still hurt by her father even after he had apologized.

Cassie walked in front of the adults with Dog by her side, ignoring the conversation that was happening behind her and kept her attention of the dog.

"Cas, drink," Aunt Carol said, handing her the canteen.

She took a sip before handing it back and continued walking. She watched as her boots smash on thing that was on the ground before she kicked a few rock, seeing them a few inches in front of her. She continued to do this until they were to the divided path and stopped.

"Hey, Cas, do you want to come—" Daryl asked but was cut off.

Cassie shook her head. "No."

She started to down the opposite path with Carol following her. Her dad went the other way, alone because Dog had choose to follow her instead.

"Good boy, Doggy." She murmured, petting the dog's head.

Back at Alexandria, Cassie immediately split from her aunt, gone into her house and went to her big brother's room. She took off her quiver, bow, and backpack, dropping them on the ground before walking over to the loose floorboard and sat down.

She stuck her knife underneath it, pulling it up, revealing her mother's shoebox. A wave of sadness washed over as she picked it up and placed the box in front of her. Flicking open the lid, Cassie started to shuffle through the items.

Her uncles unopened letters, a few random objects like old discolored coins, a tiny jar of baby teeth labeled 'Cassie's baby teeth' (Max had saved the few that she had lost), three painted pinecone (which Jude made when she was little), a few more art pieces that Jude had made when she was little.

Shuffling the rest of the stuff, she picked up a old firefly hairpin. It was a bit rusted and the colors were faded, but maybe she could clean it and wear it so she could be closer with her mom. Cassie put everything back in the box, closed the floorboard and hurried to the bathroom.

She cleaned it the best she could, the rust hadn't came off fully but it didn't matter as long as she was closer to her mom. Cassie fixed her ponytail her dad messed up and tried clipping the pin in her hair above the elastic tie.

"I was wondering when you would find it." The voice of her big brother spoke from the doorway of the bathroom.

Cassie looked through the mirror at her brother. "What do you mean?"