011

NOT A DEMOCRACY-011

NOT A DEMOCRACY-011

Heading back towards the highway the group had let supplies for Sophia, Rick had asked Hershel to check over his daughter.

Matilda winced as Hershel's cold fingers pressed against her bruised neck. Lee was clutching her hand as he watched.

"Sorry, hon, I know how tender it is. You'll need to try not to talk for a few days." The elderly man said, feeling how swollen and tender her throat was. "The swelling will go down in a couple of days, yet your neck will still be tender."

Matilda nodded as Hershel examined her nose. It had stopped bleeding by morning and the pain became bearable. Blood covered her chin and neck and had soaked her shirt while some had dried on her temple.

Hershel walked away from.
the car, heading towards her father as Carl storm to his sister. He wrapped his arms around her waist, burning his head into her stomach.

"What's wrong, papillon?" She whispered, ignoring the elderly man's directions.

"Dad wouldn't go back for mom." Carl said, his voice muffled.

Matilda leaned down, pressing a kiss to his dark hair. "She'll find us. All of them will."

Suddenly a snarl from a walker alerted the six of them. Matilda snapped her head towards the sound before slipping out of the car and pulling the kids down.

Her father and Hershel came over, guns in hand as they pressed themselves against the car. The six of them waited for the walker to stumble passed the vehicle before shuffling towards the near.

"I don't know how much longer we can stay here." Hershel whispered.

Carl looked at their father. "I'm not leaving without mom."

"Me neither. I can't leave without Kelly and Lola." Violet added, clutching Tilly's hand.

"So we're just gonna walk away?" Rick whispered with urgency. "Not knowing, if my wife, your girls are still out there? How do we live with that?"

"You've only got one concern now—just one—just your children alive. Nature may be throwing us a curveball, but that law is still true." Hershel replied.

Rick kneeled down in front of his children and Violet, his hand encasing around his oldest child's. "Carl, Lee, Tilly, Vi, it's not safe here. I'm sorry. We'll—"

A motorcycle engine had cut their father off, the six of them snapped their heads towards the two cars and a motorcycle. Matilda smiled down at the three kids before looking at her father and Hershel.