137

WILL YOU FOLLOW ME INTO THE DARK-137

"Wait. Take a minute. Then we're almost there." Maggie says as six of them stopped in the middle of the woods. "About three miles out."

"You can't be serious." Negan said in disbelief. "Daryl just told us to go home."

"I didn't hear that." Maggie countered.

Negan held out his hand, sarcastically. "Well, I think he was being subtle. He said they were armed with lookouts."

"And Daryl knows I would never turn back."

"How're you gonna keep going, Maggie, huh? With what army?" Negan sighed. "Come on, Gabe, back me up here."

"Our people are about to starve. I'm not going back to my family having failed." Gabe shook his head.

Negan scoffed. "Oh, Jesus. At least admit what you're asking of us, walking to our deaths for what, a-a sack of beans?"

"If you're more interested in saving yourself then protecting the people back home, you can go. We don't need you." Maggie says but Max shook his head.

"We do need him, Maggie. I've already told you."

Negan looked at him, appreciatively, before pointing at Gabe with his crowbar. "Tell you what, you make me a promise in front of the goddamn priest, and I will stick around."

"Promise you what?"

"I do this for you...and we're even, we are good. I don't have to keep looking over my shoulder."

Maggie looked at him, heatedly. "We will never be even."

"Then you are gonna be down a soldier that you desperately need. Your call."

"You'd take a promise from me? Really?"

Negan nodded. "Yeah. Who wouldn't? I'm assuming you are a woman of your word. I'm always been a man of mine."

He stuck out his hand, waiting for Maggie to shake it, which she did. A twig snapped in the distance, causing Maggie to look behind Max and Violet.

"What is it?" Violet asked before looking behind her and saw a Walker.

Maggie walked towards, stabbing it in the head. She looked at Elijah. "It's his sister's best friend. Teresa. She was just a kid. We have to get them. All of them."