087

PROMISE THE WORLD-087

Matilda walked away from her biological mother's body, stabbing the incoming walkers and headed towards her house. Climbing up the stairs, something caught her eyes—stained on the porch was two blue hand prints.

Carl and Judith's hands prints.

Her heart clenched at the slight, knowing her baby brother had spend his time with their sister. The door of the house opened, a hand placed on her shoulder making Tilly look towards them.

Michonne gave her a knowing look with tears in her eyes, she too had seen the hand prints.
"C'mon, Til."

The pair followed after her father towards a van, which they were loading the supplies they had rummaged. Michonne stared at the burning pavilion, the one her brother used to sit on.

"He used to sit on the roof." The woman said, gloomily.

"We have to go." Her father replied as his girlfriend picked up a fire extinguisher and took off towards the pavilion.

"Go." Matilda muttered as she climbed into the van. "Help her."

As her father went to help Michonne, she sat in the back of the van with her knees drawn to her stomach. Her back rested against the cold metal as her father and Michonne climbed into the van.

Rick drove off, leaving behind their home in ruins. It was silent for a while before her father spoke.
"What did you think he meant? Did he want us stop fighting the Saviors? Just...surrender to Negan?"

"Lee and Carl— they didn't want it to go this far. They didn't want to fight, they wanted peace." Matilda answered, rubbing her eyes.

Neither did her father and Michonne answer, they seemed to be in deep thought after what she said. It was truth, the boys didn't want war, didn't want to fight. Peace between the Alexandria and Saviors.

"We could pull over. We could read what he wrote." Michonne spoke, picking up the stack of letters.

"No. Not yet. Not me." Rick shook his head.

Michonne sorted though the stack of letters, reaching back to her boyfriend's daughter and handed her two letters. Taking the letters, Matilda stared at them, her and her oldest brother's name was written in their youngest brother's hand writing.

Carl had written a letter to his brother, he wanted to say all the things he couldn't before Lee was killed. His brother's death had hit him like a train. As Tilly read Lee's letter, she now understand how much her oldest brother meant to their baby brother.