050

APPLESAUSE TESTER-050

Matilda stayed back with her father, watching Aaron. He was tied to the barn pole as she sat with Judith. Her son, brothers, and Violet went out with the group.

"When the world was still the world, I worked for an NGO. Our mission was to deliver medicine and food to the Niger River Delta. Bad people pointed guns in my face every other week. You're not bad people. You're not gonna going to kill us. And we are definitely not going to kill you." Aaron spoke.

Rick looked at Aaron with his jaw clenched, eyes narrow. "Just because we're good people doesn't mean we won't kill you. If the nine of them aren't back in an hour."

"They will be, dad." Matilda cut him off, looking up from her fussy sister.

"I'll put a knife in the base of your skull." Rick warned, igorning his daughter.

Judith started crying, Matilda stood up from where she was kneeling and rocked her sister as she took the bowl of nuts from her father.

"Shh. Judy, it's okay." She muttered, trying to smash the nuts.

Aaron looked at the girl. "You did see the jar of applesauce in my bag, right?" Tilly stopped crushing the nuts and looked up at Aaron."This isn't a trick. This isn't about trying to make you like me. It's self-preservation. Because if the roamers hear her and come this way, I know I'll be the first to go." Aaron begged.

Matilda looked at her father with a pleasing look as Judith wailed louder. Rick sighed before walking over to the applesauce, picking it up and took a spoon full before walking over to Aaron. Rick held out the spoon.

"You think I'm trying to poison your daughter?" Aaron asked, in disbelief.

"Dad, stop." Matilda pleaded. "Judy needs food, now."

Rick turned to his oldest daughter with an serious expression. "What if they get sick, Matilda?"

"Dad, he's tied up. What do you think he's going to do?" Matilda says, trying to calm her baby sister down. "Judy needs food, now dad."

Rick stares at his daughter for a moment before turning back to Aaron. "I'm tired up and you've already expressed a willingness to stab me in the head. How would cruelly killing your baby in front of you in any way help the situation?" Aaron stated.

Rick kneeled down, holding up the spoon. "Maybe she don't die. Maybe she get sick. Maybe you're the one that can help her and we just lose."