138

HOLD YOUR BREATH-138

Cassie was cuddled up with her siblings, Hershel, and Gracie in the corner of the room as thunder crashed through the sky, scaring them. She was between Hershel and Carl, her arms wrapped around her baby brother who curled against her. The group of kids moved closer to each other as the front door started rattling.

"What's with that door?" Rosita asked as she, Alice, and Lydia nailed a wood board on the window.

"It's rotted out," Magna answered, examining the door. "This storm keeps up, it'll shake apart."

Another clap of thunder scared the kids, Carl whimpered as he curled himself deeper into his sister, whose arms wrapped tightly around him. Hershel wrapped his arms around Cassie, shifting closer to her as Judith spoke.

Cassie didn't listen to her sister as she tried to soothe her baby brother by humming him a song. "It's okay, C. I'm right here."

Suddenly she and the kids let out a scream as a tree branch came flying in through the window and the door slammed out as Alice, Lydia, and Rosita ran over and closed the door, holding it shut as the wind blew against it.

"Is everyone okay?" Alice asked as Cassie and Jude stood up and hurried over to the window.

The windmill was on fire from what she assumed was struck by lightning. Kelly came up behind the girls as they watched a metal piece fly across the ground.

"What was that?" Cassie asked Rosita who stood next to her.

"A piece of the wall," Rosita answered by pulling her and Jude back from the window.

The adults now stood around the island in the kitchen, discussing what they should do about the wall. Aaron was speaking. "Hopefully it's just the one. Now, what's worse, there's a fire in the windmill that's drawing the walkers from the surrounding areas."

"We have to get the panel back up and the fire out," Carol added.

"Yeah, so we're gonna need three teams. I'll take one to fight the fire." Aaron says.

"And I'll take a crew to repair the wall."

"We're gonna another team to protect everyone in here."

Rosita and Alice nodded. "And we can handle that."

"So, volunteers?" The man asked, looking around the table.

Connie raised her hand, signing. "I'll do it."

Magna looked at her incredulously. "No. You just got back."