112

TWO WORLDS APART-112

By noon the next day, the trio was in Maryland. The women had provided them with more food and water for them, and Hannah and Joy had taken them to the border between Washington and Maryland before heading back to their home.

"If we walk the rest of the night and tomorrow, we should be there by noon," Alice said as she helped Cassie over a highway guardrail.

As they walked, Max carried his sister on his back for a couple of miles letting her rest as the snow had started to fall harder making it colder than before. He could use Cassidy shivering against his back and told her to put up her hood on her jacket.

They walked through the night and the next day killed a few walkers on the way before making it to the city. Alice lead the sibling further into the city of Philadelphia which was rundown and ruined before heading towards one of the apartment complexes.

"In here." The redhead said, pulling open the door of the building.

Cassie and Max walked in, looking around the ruined lobby of the complex. They followed Alice to the fourth floor, and apartment number two hundred and twenty-three.

Max felt his heart pound in his chest, his sister clutched his hand tightly as Alice knocked on the door before pushing it open. Walking into the room, his breath caught in his throat at the sight of his mother and grandfather standing in the middle of the room.

"Mom?" He breathed, causing his mother and papa to turn to them. "Papa?"

"Max." His mother whispered, looking between him and his sister. "Cassie. My Lucioles." (Fireflies)

His mother looked the same as she did before she 'died, but older. Her dark hair was longer, ended at her thighs, and braided. She was skinner, but with more muscle and wear a black suit.

Matilda walked closer to her children, reaching out a hand and placing it on her son's cheek. Tears escaped her familiar hazel eyes as she looked over her son's appearance.

"You're so big." She laughed lightly. "Taller. I missed you so much."

Max wrapped his arms around his mother as they hugged each other for the first time in years. He missed this, miss her warmth, her familiar scent. He missed his mom so much.

"I missed you too. So much." Max whispered tears falling down his cheeks.

As they pulled away, Matilda pressed a kiss to his head before kneeling down at her daughter. Something between a sob and a laugh escaped her mouth as she caressed her daughter's cheek.