104

THE PERSON YOU'VE BECOME-104

Daryl's face paled dramatically, multiple thoughts ran though his head as he spoke. "What's happened? Is she okay?"

Max nodded. "She's fine. She's been asking for you. When are you coming to visit her?"

His father didn't reply, looking down at his foot and turned away. The young Dixon felt anger bleed through him as his dad walked away with a word.

"She wouldn't like the person you've become, you know!" He exclaimed, loudly making his father stopped in his tracks. "This isn't the Daryl she met years ago, this isn't her husband. This is a shell of that man with somebody else living in it."

His father didn't face him, but Max knew he was listening due to his body being stiff. He hit a nerve, his mother was a sore topic but the older Dixon need to hear this.

"She wouldn't like the way you isolated yourself from everyone. Living by yourself, saying you're better by yourself...abandoning your children. I wouldn't care so much if it was just me, because I've been through this before but Cassidy. The daughter you were supposed to raise, the only person that links you to mom."

Max stepped closer to his father, trying to make eye contact with him but it didn't work. His dad refused to look him in the eyes.

"Cassie, she's starting to understand. I can't make up excuses for you anymore. She's...she's smart. She knows I'm lying to her and I hate it." Max throw up his hands. "I hate lying to her but what am I going to tell a six year old who understanding that her daddy doesn't want to see her anymore."

He reached out his hand, placing it on his father's arm, turning the man towards him and still didn't make eye contact.

"Dad, you need to see her. Even if it's ten minutes outside the gates of Alexandria, she would just be happy to see you." Max pleaded, dropping his hand from his father's arm. "I'm starting to lose hope. That she's alive. It's been years since we've found any trace of them. We didn't even find their bodies, for all we know they could be roaming around as one of them."

"I'm gonna find them." His father murmured. "I'm gonna find your mom."

Max shook his head. "It's a dead end, dad. It's been a dead end for years. After a while, without finding trace, evidence that mom and papa are alive, out there somewhere, hope starts to run out."

His father turned away, muttering that he was gonna find them. Max grabbed his arm, pulling him back.

"It's time to come home, dad. It's time to see Cassie. The search can wait, but your daughter, your little girl, she's can't. I don't know how much longer she can wait before she decides you're aren't worth asking about."