049

A GIFT FROM A FRIEND-049

Everyone was squeezed tightly in their last surviving car, a few people like Matilda, Violet, and Maggie had to sit on Daryl, Glenn, and Carl's lap so everyone can fit into the van.

Matilda leaned on Daryl's chest as she held Judith on her lap. Abraham drove as Kelly sat in the front with Michonne. They stopped after a few half an hour on the road before running out of gas. They jumped out of the van, stretching their bodies.

They began walking down the hot road in the scorching heat. Matilda carried her sister, Carl walked next to his older sister. He reached up and placed his sheriff's hat on Judith's head, protecting him from the heat.

Daryl looks back and seeing a herd of walkers, slowly walking towards them and his hand was holding his son's.

Rick glancing back before speaking. "We're not at our strongest. We'll get 'em when it's best. High ground, something like that. They're not going anywhere."

Daryl glancing at Judith, seeing that she was starting to fuss. "They're hungry."

"She okay," Rick says as his oldest daughter shifted his youngest daughter in her arms. "She's going to be okay."

"We need to find water, food," Daryl says.

"We'll hit something in the road. It's gonna rain sooner or later." Rick says, looking towards the sky.

"I'm gonna head out," Daryl said, ushering his son towards his mother. "See what I can find."

"Don't be too long, please," Matilda says, looking at her husband.

"I'll go with you," Carol suggested, looking at Daryl in concern.

"I got it." He says before walking to the tree line and stopped when Carol spoke again.

"You gonna stop me?" Carol passes.

Daryl says nothing as he disappears into the woods with Carol following behind.

An half an hour later, they walked further down the road. Sweat covered their faces, neck, and backs from the heat radiating off of them.

The herd of walkers had gotten bigger the further they walked. Matilda walked beside Glenn and Maggie, still holding Judith. Max and Lee were walking together, so were Carl and Violet.

It wasn't long before they approached a small concrete bridge. Rick ordered his children and grandson to take Judith to safety on the far side.