105

THE ALPHA AND THE WHISPERERS-105

Following his father down into the jail the next morning, the two Dixons found Henry sitting on the ground in front of the Lydia's cell. After the first time his father questioned the girl, Max didn't go into the jail the second time or the third time, but he did listen through the window.

"She didn't want to be alone." Henry said, quickly before Daryl could say something.

"My ear hurts." Lydia said, looking up at the oldest Dixon. "Everything hurts. You still have those pills?"

Max scooped some water into the ladle and handed it to the girl. Lydia took a drank before handing it back.

"My mom's not coming for me." Lydia said. "None of them are. If someone dies or gets taken or whatever, they move on. Like they never existed. That's how it's always been. They don't come into contact with big groups unless they don't have another choice. That's why I—I was trying to find out everything I could about you. Cause then when I escaped, I'd have something to give them. No reason for them to take me back."

"You're her daughter. Does that not matter?" Henry asked in slightly disbelief.

"What about our missing people?" Daryl questioned, referring to Alden and Luke being missing.

"If my mom found them...I can't think of reason she'd keep them alive. Sorry."

"Does she have a camp somewhere?" Max asked, standing slightly behind his father.

"Near the guard bridge." Lydia answered. "Maybe a mile east. But we don't...they're don't stay in one place for long."

"The story about your family...was any of it true?"

Lydia looked up at Henry. "I thought all of it was. I needed it to be. But I had it all mixed up. It was a lie, but the lie wasn't mine. My mom...she told it to me...over and over, for years. But...deep down, I knew...I knew what she was, and I knew what she did."

The three men listened as Lydia explained that the place she was staying in at the beginning went to ruins and how her mother killed her father.

"He was against the wall...scared...and my mom was there. Had that cold look in her eyes. Then she—she got her knife. And then she—" Lydia let out a sob.

"It's okay," Daryl said, gently. "It's okay. We've heard enough."

"I'm sorry I couldn't help you. I'm sorry I wasted your time."