055

DINNER PARTY, OFFICERS, AND MOTORCYCLES-055

That morning, Lee, Maggie, Michonne sat at the kitchen table with Deanna. Rick was standing behind his son. The teen had expressed that he didn't want to go to school and wanted to work.

"You protect and serve. You patrol, walk the wall, watch out for the kids. If there's a conflict, you solve it. And people will listen to you." Deanna said.

"Because we're wearing windbreakers?" Michonne deadpanned.

"Because they believe in this," Deanna replied. "Because I'm telling them to. A police officer used to live here. Go we had these jackets and I wanted to make it official. So it's official. There's gonna be ao government here one day. That's why I want Maggie and Lee to work with me. There's gonna be a police force. That's why I want you two to start it. I see a vibrant community here with industry, commerce, civilization. Real lives. It might be houses and mills, but—what?"

Lee glanced back at his father, who looked unsure.

"Does that sound like pie in the sky?" Deanna says.

"No," Maggie said making the woman nod. Deanna looked at Michonne and Lee who replied with a 'no'.

Deanna looked up at Rick. "No. Can we talk security?"

They walked down the street to the solar panels as Rick spoke. "We need a constant patrol along the walls. Not just looking for damage, but signs that anyone climbed in from outside. You can move right up the supports. That's what I'd do. People are the real threat now."

"Rick, I know you think that we should all be armed within the walls. I—I can't do that." Deanna said.

Rick nodded. "That's fine. You make these changes, we won't need to." 

Sasha walked up and spoke. "Excuse me. I want to volunteer to be one of the lookouts in the clock tower."

"There are no lookouts in the clock tower."

Rick looked at Deanna in disbelief. "What?"

"We saw someone up there earlier," Michonne added.

"That was an empty rifle my son Spencer put up there.  He mans it sometimes, but not often. Look, there hasn't been the need."

"We need a lookout in that tower, right now, 24/7." Rick spat.

"It's the only way we'll be able to see if someone's coming at us," Lee says, standing next to Maggie.