Chapter 20: Mateo

Earlier Nate and I decided I would drive and he would sit in the backseat. Nate opened the door for her while I rounded the car, and got in.

"You sure?" I heard her ask.

"Get in the car." He told her; I could hear his grin. She laughed and got in the car.

"Am I allowed to know where we are going?" she said fiddling around with her hands in her lap.

"You'll see when we get there." I said starting the car.

"I want to get to know you." Nate said, putting his elbows on his knees, leaning closer.

"Ok, what do you want to know?" Grace said turning so she was facing the center of the car to better see him.

"Did you move here when Taylor did?" Nate asked, I was just listening in, I wanted to know her better as well.

"Yes," Grace answered.

"Why did you both move here?" Nate ask, I tensed I think he might have asked a personal question to early.

"Taylor wanted a new beginning, and wanted the hell away from there." She said calm as can be I relaxed because I think she was more frustrated of her past situation than Nate asking that.

"Ok, I'm going to stay away from that." Nate said. "What were you going to college to be?" Nate asked next arching an eyebrow.

"I was going to be an accountant but that doesn't mean I wanted to be one. Taylor saw how miserable I was and told me if I wanted to be a stripper to just be one." She said smirking.

"Do you have to be?" I asked looking over at her, I was still frustrated, I don't want her to be doing this.

"Why are you so against it?" She asked facing the front, putting her head down.

"He doesn't like anybody looking at you in that way." Nate said way to quickly for comfort.

"Hey! Who said?" I asked turning sideways a bit to look him in the eye before looking back at the road.

"You attitude said. Who cares if people are looking at her? Be glad you get to be the one to care about her, to take her out on a date, to have sex with her. Be glad you get to be that guy, quit worrying about everyone else." Nate said, his words rang true to my feelings but I still didn't want her doing this.

"No, I don't want her there because I don't trust the people around. She could be putting herself in danger doing this." I said tensing, my hands clenching around the steering wheel harder.

"So, you just don't care about the other strippers, Taylor, Jordan, Chelsea?" Grace said looking over at me.

"We are here." I said pulling into the two-story Italian restaurant, Gabriele's. "And yes, I care about the other girls, but there is only so much I can do for them, I hate that you to be in the mix, sometimes it can get dangerous." I said parking the car and taking her hand before she got totally mad.

"Wow, a real moment passed between you and girl and heartfelt honesty. Where is he?" Nate said making a big deal looking underneath our seats and in the back window.

"Who?" Grace said grinning.

"The real Mateo, of course." Nate said turning around and facing us again, Grace started laughing, I hit his knee. He just laughed.

We all got of the car. Nate opened the door and let Grace go in first, I went in behind him. The hostess stepped up.

"Reservation for Rivera." Nate said speaking to the hostess.

"Of course, Mr. Rivera, follow me." The hostess grabbed some menus and took us to a u-shaped booth, hidden in a corner. Nate got in, then Grace, then me. That put her in between the both of us, Nate on her left, me on her right, one of the reasons why we picked this place.

"Fancy," Grace said, looking to the chandeliers, and the fancy wine glasses on our table. This place was known for the fancy chandeliers and privacy for its guests, and of course the food. The top story was for party, most businesses gathered here.

"That it is," I said, putting my hand on her thigh. She immediately looked at me and then my hand. The waiter interrupted our little stare down and asked us our orders. Nate ordered a chicken pasta, she got the same thing, I got a steak pizzaiola and ordered us all some wine.

"Calm down, you're okay, you don't have to be nervous." Nate said, picking up on how Grace tensed.

Grace looked over at me with a hint of fire in her eyes, like she did the other night. Yeah, the game seems to be on.