Chapter 31: Mateo

It was now, 5:30 and I got a text from Grace saying she was on the way about 15 minutes ago. I called for pizza and got 2 meat lovers. She texted me and told me it was fine.

"She does seem like the type to like meat lovers." Nate said wagging his eyebrows, smirking. I slapped his arm. We were sitting in the kitchen, at the island.

"Cut it out." I chuckled out. The doorbell rang.

"Got it." Nate said getting up to walk to the door, a little overexcited. About a minute went by before I saw Grace and Nate walking in with the pizza.

"Hey." Grace said walking up to me hugging me, smiling. She stepped away and clapped her hands. "Pizza or questions, or questions over pizza?" she asked. She was wearing her usual ponytail, leggings, and blue t-shirt.

"Pizza first questions later," I let out, Nate behind her nodded. She sat down on the stool beside me.

"Alright then." Nate mumbled.

Nate and I got out some plates earlier so we started eating talking about our day, and we got done eating around the same time. We were now sitting in the living room, Taylor across from us on the love seat.

"Can we ask you questions now?" Nate asked beside me.

"Yeah, sure. Shoot." Grace agreed.

"What was his name?" I asked first.

"Blake," she sighed out.

"Mateo said you told him about having sex the one time but you left out the abusive part, why?" Nate chimed in.

"After a while, after I moved on, I didn't think of him that way, I just held on to he was a jerk who I had sex with one time, that left me." She shrugged.

"Left you" why do you think that way?" Nate continued.

"Before we started dating, he was "Mr. Nice Guy" I'm sure you heard the type?" she asked. We nodded back at her. "I just think of him being a jerk after we got together that left." She sighed.

"How were you able to hit him over and over with a bat, if you had a twisted ankle and broke leg?" I asked, I was genuinely curious. I'm not trying to poke holes; I just can't imagine it.

"Adrenaline, is what the doctors said." She smiled. I arched my brow at her. "I'm sorry I like reveling. Continue." She shook her head.

"I would too," Nate chuckled. "Why didn't you leave earlier?"

"Couldn't or didn't have the courage I honestly don't know. I think I could have, maybe would have risked my life, but hey I got out in the end." She held her hands up.

"Why Manhattan?" I chimed in.

"Why not Manhattan? We lived in a small town in Alabama, I don't think he or anyone else is going to think to look here for me." She shrugged.

"Roots?" Nate asked.

"Parents are dead, lived with my grandma until she died shortly after graduation, she left just enough in her will to bury her, and a little to make my way here. I buried her and a month later I was here." she looked down toward the floor.

"Taylor's all you got?" I asked gently. She nodded.

"And her parents. They are sweethearts." She smiled.

"I'm sorry." Nate said solemnly.

"It's ok things happened long ago." She spoke.

"Why didn't his parents see how you were?" I asked.

"Well, I covered the bruises on my face with makeup and I only saw the parents maybe a handful of times because he only had me over when they weren't there. Sometimes they came home early." She shrugged.

"Are you ok?" Nate asked. She rubbed one of her eyes. She let her hair down, running her fingers through it to smooth it out.

"This just brings up a lot, but yes I'm ok." She said lowly, looking down at her hands, fidgeting. Me and Nate looked to each other. Nate nodded.

"Come here baby." I said walking over to her and picking up wrapping her legs around my waist. She wrapped her arms around my neck laying her head on my shoulder.

I started walking toward our screening room, we needed to get her mind of this. At least for tonight. Considering she was with us, means she's over him just not the abuse, which is understandable. She didn't deserve what she went through.

"Where are we going?" she asked when I got to the hallway.

"Screening room." I answered, lowly.

"You have a screening room?" she said shocked. I smiled.

"Yes, very small but yes." I chuckled out.

I got to the screening room and opened to the door and sat down with her on a recliner. Nate was getting pillows and blankets. She was straddling me the way she was she leaned back off my shoulder and her lips met mine suddenly. She started grinding down on me making me groan into the kiss.

"You don't have to do anything." I said after pushing her lightly back. I started running my fingers through her hair, looking into her eyes.

"I just need to get my mind off it." She looked at me, eyes almost begging.

"Are you sure this is healthy?" I asked her.

"I blocked out the abuse, I thought differently of the relationship, yes, I got over him but I blocked out the abuse." She leaned in and kissed me again. "Please."

"Just for tonight." I told her, and I meant it, she needed to deal with this, not screw it away. She deserved better than screwing it away, blocking it only for it to come back up again. She needed to sort through this and get through it as best she can. But for tonight, it is going to be just us.