Chapter 76: Nate

"I hope you know I'm not leaving your side anymore." Taylor said to her, she was standing at the foot of the bed still trying to convince Grace not to dance.

"I'm not moving again; I'm not changing my name again. I want my life back Taylor, and I was just starting to get it. If you don't want to leave my side fine, but please don't stop me from dancing." Grace pleaded. She was able to move now, it was now two o'clock but it felt like it had been a week.

"Fine, but you aren't being alone again." Taylor said sternly pointing to Grace, and she nodded.

I don't want to leave her side, I can't lose her, I love her. I told Taylor if she wanted to go home and shower, she could, but I am not leaving her. I feel like I am responsible, like if I saw the clues Nick was what he was maybe I could've stopped this, but then I don't think I would have Grace the way I do now. Taylor left and said she would kill us if we left, then I heard the door open again.

"We found a set of fingerprints on the cooler that wasn't Jordans. That pet store? The cameras were mysteriously not working that day. In the eyes of the law there is no reason to subpoena Nick, for his fingerprints." Jason said sighing. There were cops there, no? Why could they say he was there?

"What about the cops? The store called the cops?" Mateo said looking up.

"The cops never saw him it was you that said he was there. There is no way to corroborate it." Jason explained.

"Fuck!" Mateo exclaimed and threw the table that had clothes over. I was trying my best to hold my shit, I wanted to stay calm for Grace, I was clenching my fists so hard I'm sure I was drawing blood.

"Mateo, I know you want to turn this whole world upside down, but you need to stay calm." Jason said grabbing Mateo's shoulders.

"Someone please hold me." I heard a low voice mumble, I turned around to Grace starting to cry. Jason excused himself from the room.

"Hey, baby. I'm sorry." Mateo said sitting in the bed beside Grace. Grace turned around and Mateo wrapped his arms around her, and she started shuddering.

"Can they only wait until I'm hurt?" Grace asked.

"I wish it were different." Mateo said to her. I wish I could do something to make this better, I wish the police could actually do something.

"Grace what can I do?" I asked. I wanted to know if I could do anything for her anything to ease some of the pain anything. If I could swap with her I would.

"Just be here," she said and I went to her side and sat down in the chair and I held her hand, she was facing me, and she offered me a slightly smile.

After a little while she said she was hungry, I went to find the doctor and he said she could try to eat. He said to keep it to liquids because he wasn't sure how she would react to hard food right now, her stomach maybe working a little harder. Jason's wife, Hayley, was in the waiting room and she said that she would more than happy to fix Grace a little something. I wanted them to meet I know it may be a bad time for her but we hardly saw her.

"Grace, someone wants to meet you." I said peaking my head into the room and Mateo stood up from the bed standing beside her. I walked in Hayley behind me, Grace sat up slowly.

"Hey Grace, I'm Jason's wife Hayley. It is very nice to meet you." She said walking to Grace's side.

"Oh, Hi. Jason talks about you a lot." Grace told Hayley smiling.

"He talks very highly about you but he hasn't told me what you are dealing with. I hope you are okay." Hayley told her. Jason told us he likes to keep his work and personal life separate, church and state of sorts.

"I will be, now how are your kids? Enough about me, I am tired of talking about me." Grace asked her.

"Oh, our boy, is in a science fair and is doing that volcano thing everyone always does. Our little girl, loves school and doesn't want to talk about much else." She answered Grace.

"They sound very sweet." Grace told her.

"They are maybe you can meet them sometime, take your mind off of all this." Hayley offered her.

"Absolutely." Grace agreed.

Hayley said she needed to go pick up her kids and told Grace goodbye, Jordan came and was going to walk her out. Hayley stopped me and whispered she would bring by some soup because she was sure she didn't want cafeteria food. I quickly told her she didn't have to but she insisted.