Chapter 63: Grace

After I got my mind off of what happened, I walked into the living room when I smelled cooking. I saw Taylor at the stove and Mateo was on his computer watching something and Nate was watching the Tv. I sat at the island on the other side.

"Need any help?" I asked startling all of them, apparently.

"Grace! Ugh!" Taylor said turning around.

"Jesus!" Both Nate and Mateo yelled. I raised my hands smiling.

"How should I greet you then if not asking a simple question?" I asked laughing slightly.

"Not... that." She turned around waving a spoon gesturing to me. It looked like she was making pasta. I got up walking to stand beside her and saw she was cutting chicken, I grabbed the knife and started cutting like she taught me.

We got in a groove she would toss me some stuff to put in the pasta when I walked by to get seasonings. We were making pasta and bread sticks. None of us were talking, Nate and Mateo were sitting at the island we would exchange glances every now and again, but it wasn't awkward, I didn't know how to explain it.

"Do you two cook like this all the time?" Mateo broke the silence first. This whole time they have just been watching the two of us.

"Yeah, why?" Taylor said filling the pot that had the noodles full of water.

"It's like you two are having a conversation without exchanging words." He said waving a finger gesturing to the both of us.

"You two don't?" I asked, I know that they aren't women or whatever men say only us do but they have been friends forever. Anybody would think as close as they are they at least have a groove.

"Not like that." Nate said shaking his head at us.

"You two are weird." Taylor said mixing the pasta in with the sauce.

"How?" Mateo asked.

"You two have been friends forever, you don't have a way?" Taylor asked. They both turned looking at her like she had completely lost her mind. "A way you do things, a way to communicate with just looks, like 'I'm about to get murdered help me,' nothing like that?" She asked so bluntly it made me laugh the room filling up with my laugh, they all turned to me smiling.

"What?" I asked them.

"Didn't hear that carefree voice for a while." Nate answered, Mateo nodded.

"Back to the point. Seriously? Nothing?" She asked waving the spoon around.

"I guess, no?" Nate finally answered. "I mean we know each other I guess we just haven't been in those situations?" He looked to Mateo, who nodded.

"Well, she knew me before Blake, it was after that we started doing this communicating without talking." I explained.

"Well, I've never seen that. Just, thought it was nice." Mateo offered.

We all sat at the island after getting out the bread and I made an alfredo dipping sauce quickly. I sat next to Taylor; Nate moved to the other side of Mateo so I could sit beside her.

"Are you alright?" Mateo turned asking me once again. I sighed before answering.

"Yes, I'm ok, it was like I knew it wasn't him but his tone..." I trailed off shaking my head. "Very similar, to similar." I finished taking another bite of the alfredo. It feels like lately all I have been eating is Italian. I would love if I had fries and chicken again.

"Tone of voice?" Taylor asked.

"Tone was demanding, without being demanding asking without asking. Something Blake did a good job of perfecting." I explained.

After we finished eating, I felt like I was drained I just wanted to sleep, Taylor went to her room leaving us alone, I suggested instead of sleeping in the living room one of them could sleep in my bed and the other on the floor. They refused, I said the offer was open and I left them after saying I wanted them to stay, tonight, I wanted to feel safe and with them in the apartment I felt safe. I got into bed turning off the lights and turning my music on. I don't remember anything after I laid down, I felt someone getting in behind me, I started sitting up wondering if something was wrong.

"It's ok, its ok." I heard Mateo's voice; he laid a hand on my shoulder calming me. I didn't expect him to come in here, Nate sure. He slid into bed behind me wrapping his arms around my waist