Chapter 29: Grace

"I yelled at her, and she flinched, she started panicking and apologizing, I got her to calm down, and she finally explained. She ended up crying in a ball on my lap." Taylor finished stepping closer to me.

"After a while he told me if I just had sex with him it would stop, Taylor kept telling me not to he was lying. After a couple weeks of him telling me it would all just stop if I had sex with him I had enough and I did." I looked at Mateo and Nate, grimacing at me.

"Yeah, you're going to love this next part." Taylor said sarcastically rolling her eyes.

"After I did it, well it did not go back to normal it got worse, he would throw me into walls, shove me into doors, I basically had bruises all over. I was still doing what he wanted showing him evidence I wasn't cheating it just got to where he didn't care." I tightening my hold on Nate hand. My voice was becoming wobbly.

"One night he was drunk, and he was beating me bad and calling me a bitch, and how I was cheating and I was good for nothing but that was okay, because he was screwing Taylor. He said that made him even." Mateo and Nate jerked their gazes to Taylor.

"I wasn't sleeping with him!" She yelled at the two, who diverted their gazes to me.

"I knew she wasn't because if I wasn't with him at every waking minute he would have a panic attack, I was with her or calling her the other half of the time. Anyways, so he threw me again, I landed beside his bedroom. At that point I was fed up and I was about to pass out." I said looking to Taylor.

"Oh, my favorite part." She said smiling at me.

"I knew he kept a bat beside his bedroom door, he took a step towards me as soon as I stood up, he raised his fist and I punched him, and that caught him off guard, he called me a bitch again and he darted at me, and I grabbed the bat and just started beating him and I didn't stop until I had passed out from my own pain." I finished looking at Nate and Mateo.

"What happened to him?" Nate asked gritting his teeth in anger. He clenched my hand in his grasp harder.

"Nothing, his dad was the mayor made the whole thing go away, by the time it all ended it was only 5 months till we graduated, and we would be 18 that summer." Taylor answered.

"How badly hurt were you?" Mateo asked, looking at me like his ears were about to start steaming. He hand his hands in fists.

"Concussion, black eyes, broken wrist, cracked ribs, twisted ankle, and broken leg." I answered pulling my hand away from Taylor to count on my fingers.

"That's why we ran, after we graduated, he started coming around again and talked about owning her again, he didn't know my parents, my parents agreed to let me come with her to protect her and be here for her while she recovered. She picked the place I was along for the ride." Taylor said I turned around and gave her a hug.

I turned around and made eye contact with Mateo. He darted at me, walking briskly towards me and before I could blink had me in a bear hug, with my feet off the ground. He leaned back and kissed me on the forehead and put me down.

"By the way, Lee isn't my real last name." I said and they turned around to look at me with funny looks on their faces. Taylor chuckled.

"Did you really think she would keep that? Her real last name is Smith, she legally had it changed you know, since the dad is mayor and all?" Taylor said waving her hand in circles making gestures. I chuckled.

"So yeah, but it's legally my name. So, there's that." I said making eye contact with the two.

"Grace Lee, is on the lease and you don't keep official files like an office firm does online, so yeah, and I always wanted to be a stripper anyway, so win, win, she stays hidden and I'm off the radar so it's not like he can track me down and find her." Taylor said pointing at me.

"We've got questions," Nate said pointing his thumb back at Mateo, he nodded. "Probably lots of them, but you got to go, before you're going to be late." Nate said stepping aside letting Taylor and me by.

"Fair enough," I said to him, walking past. I could explain later, for right I needed to leave them to digest what I just told them. Taylor opened the door to apartment letting me walk through first.

"I'm so sorry!" she stopped me giving me a hug. "I thought when you said you told them that, you only had sex one time with your ex I thought you slipped in there that he was abusive." We started walking. She grabbed my hand. We walked towards the elevator.

"Relax, it's okay. They were probably going to find out sooner or later. Like what if he finds me when I start working for them. It's not just that I sort of have a thing with them now, it's also that I am going to work for them." I said hitting the call button on the elevator.