the beach

"I'm lonely" I whisper. "I know baby" he holds me tighter. "It just- I just can't move on from you.. it hurts.. I feel like I'm betraying you" tears run down my cheeks. "You're not.. I want you to move on.. I want you to be happy.. that's all I want" he says.

"There um- there's a guy who's asked me out a few times.. he's no you but.. I like him" I say. "Say yes" he says. "But what about you? I don't want to hurt you" I whisper. "It hurts more seeing you lonely" he says.

"I'm not getting married again" I say. "If you do.. I'll be okay with it.. I'll be fine" he says. "I don't want to" I say. "Okay" he whispers. "You're the love of my life.. I dont want another one" I say.

"Don't feel like you're betraying me.. by being happy in a world that I'm not in.. I'm always there for you I promise" he says.

"Do you listen.. when I talk to you?" I ask. "Of course" he says. I smile small. "I go on ferryboat rides to talk to you" I say. "I know.. I love it when you do" he says. I smile. "I won't stop" I say. "Good" he says.

I turn around in his arms. "I don't want to lose you again" I whisper. "You won't be.. I'll be right here when you're ready" he strokes my cheek with his thumb.

"Are you happy?" I ask. He looks into my eyes. "I am.. I like it here.. my dad's here.. Mark.. lexie.. its nice" he says. "But you can't wait for me to join you?" I smile. He smiles, nodding.

"I'm not as good as you so if I find out you have a dead girlfriend.. I'm sorry but I will have to beat her up" I say jokingly. He chuckles.

We look into eachothers eyes. We both smile. We lean in slowly. We kiss deeply. I put my hands on his waist, moving closer to him. My back arches and he runs his fingers through my hair.

My eyes open and I'm in the hospital room again. "We thought we'd lost you there for a second" Richard sighs. "No.. no I want to go back to the beach" I whisper, a tear running down my cheek. I pass out again.

"Derek!" I look around the beach. Tears are streaming down my face. "Hey.. I'm here.. its okay" he walks over to me. I take a breath, moving into his arms.

"I thought I wouldn't be able to get back here again" I whisper. "Mer you should go back" he whispers. "I don't want to" I say. "I know.. but the kids need you" he says softly.

"I miss you too much.. they say it gets easier as time goes on but it doesn't.. I miss you more and more everyday" I say. "I know" he whispers.

I pull away slowly, looking into his eyes. "Will you really be here?" I ask. "Yes" he whispers. "I need to go" I whisper. He nods.

"I love you" I say. "I love you too.. so much" he whispers. I lean in, kissing him passionately. I put my hands on his cheeks, my fingers running through his hair. He puts his hands on my waist, our tongues dancing.

We pull away slowly. "Don't love anyone as much as you love me" he whispers. "I could never" I whisper. "But be happy" he says. "I'll try" I say.

I feel myself beginning to move back to the hospital room. "Derek" I say. He looks into my eyes. "Stay here.." I say. He smiles. "Don't move.." I gently let go of his hand. "Wait for me" I whisper. He smiles, his eyes glossy. I wake up in the hospital room.

396 words

In honor of derek dying 7 years ago today🤪